Vault 7.2.1: error when getting label of the $

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jclausius

Re: Vault 7.2.1: error when getting label of the $

Post by jclausius » Thu May 04, 2017 3:20 pm

OK. It could be something in configuration, but that's OK.

When you ran the test on the Vault Server using the client to do the GET of the label, did you use the IP address?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

kha

Post by kha » Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 pm

jclausius wrote:OK. It could be something in configuration, but that's OK.

When you ran the test on the Vault Server using the client to do the GET of the label, did you use the IP address?
I used the DNS name when connecting to Vault website with Vault client. This server is internal, so we use the internal DNS server to create an Alias for this IP that I assigned to the Vault website that I created on this IIS Vault server. All my tests are done on the Vault server itself to eliminate hoops as possible

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu May 04, 2017 3:36 pm

OK, so my idea won't eliminate networking altogether as only loopback addresses would do that.

About the only thing I can suggest right now is to increase the sql timeout value. I'll speak to Beth when I see her next to ask if she can help dig a little deeper.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am

How often do you perform SQL maintenance? We have a KB article posted here, viewtopic.php?t=2924, with our recommendations. Maintenance can drastically improve performance for all operations.

Just for a test, can you create a smaller label and see if you can get on that label?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kha

Post by kha » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am

Beth wrote:How often do you perform SQL maintenance? We have a KB article posted here, viewtopic.php?t=2924, with our recommendations. Maintenance can drastically improve performance for all operations.
We are running the sql maintenance job every Sunday (the job includes data integrity check, shrink database task, rebuilt index task, update statistic task)
Just for a test, can you create a smaller label and see if you can get on that label?
For the same repository that i've been strungled with, right click on a small folder under $ (size 51 MB) , Show Label -> it quickly returned the info within couple seconds. Problem only happens when I do that at the $ (whole tree size 147.82GB), or the bigger folder under $ $ (the folder size 143.85 GB).

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 am

It might help if we can take a closer look offline. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

kha

Post by kha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Beth,

I tried to reply back to your email and got the email bounced back:
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: googlemail.com
support@sourcegear.com
#< #5.0.0 smtp; Your email to group support@sourcegear.com was rejected due to spam classification. To address this issue: * Contact the owner of the group, who can choose to enable message moderation instead of bouncing these emails. * Set up SPF records for your sending domain if you have not done so already. Instructions for both steps can be found here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/168383. #SMTP#
Was able to reply to your email around 12:55pm EST today but then got your email back at 3:27pm EST, then I can't reply to it anymore (bounced back with above error).

My question in the reply to you is:

I don't see option to let it move on if it fails on label. I tried again without Export Deleted Items option. Still failed with the same error "server was unable to process request --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry, my mistake. The way to ignore labels is on import.

On the export, try ignoring deleted items.
Beth Kieler

kha

Post by kha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Beth wrote:Sorry, my mistake. The way to ignore labels is on import.

On the export, try ignoring deleted items.
Yes, did left the "deleted items" option unchecked and still fail with the same error

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Run a history query on only the action of Obliterate. Do you have any obliterates in history?

In a previous email you said you are trying to restore backups. You meant SQL backups, right? If you restore SQL backups, then also clear or rename the caches prior to trying your export: viewtopic.php?t=217.
Beth Kieler

kha

Post by kha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Beth wrote:Run a history query on only the action of Obliterate. Do you have any obliterates in history?
Ran. Result shows nothing
Beth wrote: In a previous email you said you are trying to restore backups. You meant SQL backups, right? If you restore SQL backups, then also clear or rename the caches prior to trying your export: viewtopic.php?t=217.
I restored all the backups of all the production vault dbs , restored them on a totally separate sql (vm) server. Installed vault web server on a different windows 2008 R2 server (VM). This is the entire whole separate and different development environment from the production one. All servers are on the same network.

I've cleared all client cache following your instruction/link (cleared entire Vault_1 folder and restarted IIS) on the server that I ran the export tool. It's still running (another fresh try) ... i'll see if it fails again

kha

Post by kha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm

kha wrote: I've cleared all client cache following your instruction/link (cleared entire Vault_1 folder and restarted IIS) on the server that I ran the export tool. It's still running (another fresh try) ... i'll see if it fails again
Beth,

Update, i still run into the same error.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am

Hi there. Beth is out this week. I apologize, but I'm a bit confused as at one point there's talk about Folder Export / Import and now it looks like just the databases were moved.

Are you still receiving the timeout just trying to look at labels at $/ unless you bump the SQLCommandTimeout to something large like 43200? Does this repository have folder security enabled?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

kha

Post by kha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 am

jclausius wrote:Hi there. Beth is out this week. I apologize, but I'm a bit confused as at one point there's talk about Folder Export / Import and now it looks like just the databases were moved.

Are you still receiving the timeout just trying to look at labels at $/ unless you bump the SQLCommandTimeout to something large like 43200? Does this repository have folder security enabled?
Jeff,

This issue was carried on. With this particular repository that we have problem with getting label at $, we also want to do the export of it (and running into issues too). We tried to create a dev environment from the backup of vault databases so we can eliminate all the possible traffic and usage problem. With this Dev environment, only myself is using it. I tried to get the label at $ on this repository on the dev environment, i also got the same error (as I did when trying to export):

Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Could you please send the server's log (sgvault.log file) to the support email you have open with Beth?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear