Visual Studio 2017 Enhanced Client Support

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Aaron Young

Visual Studio 2017 Enhanced Client Support

Post by Aaron Young » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:08 pm

So Visual Studio 2017 has been released and I find myself in limbo because I cannot use the Enhanced Client for Vault 9.x or earlier with VS 2017 and yet version 10.x has yet to be released.

I "could" install and use the preview, but your own recommendation is to not use it in a production environment, so what are we to do?

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Beth

Re: Visual Studio 2017 Enhanced Client Support

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Here are the options I think you have. I can provide assistance with this if you wish.

1) Rebind to the Vault Classic Client before moving any project to VS 2017. Or, if this is for new projects, then you can use the classic client on those assuming there is no sharing with previous projects.

2) Unbind previous projects that are going to VS 2017 and don't use integration until Vault 10 is released. You can still use the Vault GUI client to perform SCC actions. On new projects, you can use the Vault GUI client instead of the integration from the start with those, and bind later.

3) You could go to the Vault 10 preview. There are some bugs yet, but nothing that is a show stopper as far as I know. When we release Vault 10, you will have to uninstall the preview, keep the database, and then install the released version. This is still at your own risk though. Make sure you have good SQL backups before the switch.

4) Not use VS 2017 for a little while longer. Our release has pushed into April, but it's close.

If you go the rebinding route, there are instructions in this KB article: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18956.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jclausius

Re: Visual Studio 2017 Enhanced Client Support

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Vault 10 includes the Visual Studio Extension which provides Vault integration within Visual Studio 2017.

See the Vault download page http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/downloads.html or keep a look out for the Vault Extension for Visual Studio within Visual Studio's marketplace.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear