Vault 7.2.1: transaction log backup suddenly becomes huge

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kha

Vault 7.2.1: transaction log backup suddenly becomes huge

Post by kha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I have a sql job to run the transaction log backup every 2 hours for my Vault databases.
6am sgvault.trn file size 500KB, 8am log backup size 371KB, 10am had 317KB log size today.
About noon i tried to export a big repository with the export/import tool, it took forever and i finally (around 2pm) cancelled it. The transaction log backup job failed several times with "not enough space" error for transaction log.

I looked at the .trn file that it last backed up was about 7 GB (huge increase). I wonder why the .trn file suddenly grow so big. Is it because I ran the export of the repository at noon? I am trying to run the transaction log backup to a different drive letter and still going on ... looks like it can go to hundred GB .trn

The recovery mode of the sgvault database is set to Full as the same with sgnotify, sgvaultindex and sgmaster dbs

Beth

Re: Vault 7.2.1: transaction log backup suddenly becomes hu

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 pm

If you don't want the transaction log to be used, you can set Vault to the Simple recovery mode. If you need to make incremental or differential backups, then you would leave it at Full and give the transaction logs more space.

An export and an import read a lot of data and copy a lot of data out to the .vfe file. It goes through the entire history. These are also very long and slow operations.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kha

Post by kha » Thu May 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Beth,

Any recommendation on exporting a big repository? It seems I can easily get timeout for whatever reason or it takes super long time. I am not sure what settings to change or if I need to increase memory size on Vault server or anything on sql side to make the process go quicker

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri May 05, 2017 8:03 am

There is a SQL timeout setting in the vault.config file that is in the Vault website files under vaultservice. Add another '0' to the end of the SQL timeout, then perform an IIS reset by typing iisreset at a administrator command prompt. If you have websites that can't go through an IIS reset, then you can alternatively recycle the Vault app pool instead. Either of these actions will disconnect your Vault users, so you may wish to let them know ahead of time.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support