Trying to get access to an old Vault Database

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RobertPhoenix

Trying to get access to an old Vault Database

Post by RobertPhoenix » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm

We have been using Vault for a long time, but after changing our web server last year Vault became inaccessible, probably for the simple reason that we did not reinstall Vault Server.

I have confirmed that the database tables are still there, and I made backups of them.

Next I downloaded the single user version of Vault and successfully installed the Web service on one of our domains. I can now open the Web page (After giving the folder with your page(s) script permissions)

http://x***x.com/VaultService/VaultWeb/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fvaultservice%2fAdmin%2fLicenses.aspx&message=Please+log+in+using+the+%22admin%22+username+and+the+password+that+you+supplied+during+the+install.

However, when I use the admin user name and password that I created during the install I get the message

This server has more active full user accounts than licenses. The administrator must either add more serial numbers, or make some user accounts inactive.

Since I can't get in I can't make user accounts inactive. However in the database sgMaster I did find a table dbo.users, and I was able to make all existing users inactive. That doesn't solve the problem. I still get the same message.

Help !!!

jclausius

Re: Trying to get access to an old Vault Database

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 am

Your Vault installation most likely has a key for a specific version. Did you install that same version of the Vault Server?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

RobertPhoenix

Post by RobertPhoenix » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I did not install the same version. I wasn't sure which version we had originally, and now we only need one person to access Vault, so I downloaded the latest version for one free user.

Our original order was
Order Number: 52250

but we did purchase updates and maintenance over the years.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:38 pm

If you only need a single user license, then you'll need to delete existing License Keys using the Vault Admin Tool.

I'm uncertain what happens if you change the users active column in the database, as there may be a stored procedure or code in the Vault Server which does some other work. This can always be reverted at a later time.

So for starters, my suggestion is to first try deleting all of the License keys you have configured through the Admin Web site, and then attempt to log in with the client after that, but be sure to use the 'Admin' User account.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

RobertPhoenix

Post by RobertPhoenix » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:21 pm

But my problem is that I can't get into the Admin Web site because it says I need more users to be able to do that.

To be specific, all I have on our server is the old database and the new Version 10 single user product.

Robert.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 pm

You should be able to log in with the 'Admin' user account and go directly to the Licenses page after dismissing any warning popups.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear