How to get recursive labels in Vault?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rak

How to get recursive labels in Vault?

Post by rak » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 am

I have a nested folder structure like so:
  • FolderA
    • FolderB
Both FolderA and FolderB have labels applied to them. The Show Labels dialog has a Recursive Labels option but if won't show the labels applied to FolderB when looking at FolderA. Neither will the GetLabelQueryItems_Recursive API call.

What am I doing wrong?

Vault Version 5.0.0.18701

Beth

Re: How to get recursive labels in Vault?

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 am

When you perform a Show Labels, there should be two tabs at the top of the results screen. One is for labels directly applied or inherited, and the other is for the recursive search. Are you on the correct tab?

I'm not seeing any bugs from back then. You might want to check your Vault Server Log to see if any errors come up when you run a Show Labels.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

rak

Post by rak » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

Beth wrote:Are you on the correct tab?
Yes.
Beth wrote:You might want to check your Vault Server Log
Nothing out of the ordinary in the server logs.

See the two attached screenshots of the Show Labels dialog. NoLabels-ParentFolder.png shows the parent folder (LabelTestA) not showing any recursive labels for its child folder. NoLabels-ChildFolder.png shows the child folder (LabelTestB) as having a label and also showing the inherited label from LabelTestA.

This is happening on two of our repositories but then I did the same test in an empty repository the recursive labels showed up. Any repository settings that influence this?
Attachments
NoLabels-ChildFolder.png
NoLabels-ChildFolder.png (29.85 KiB) Viewed 11407 times
NoLabels-ParentFolder.png
NoLabels-ParentFolder.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 11407 times

rak

Post by rak » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm

This also happens in a test instance we have that is Vault Standard 9.1.0.584 (which is an instance cloned from out Vault 5.0.0 instance and then upgraded).

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm

I set up the same scenario on both Vault 9 and Vault 10 and mine shows it correctly.
Label comparison.JPG
Label comparison.JPG (38.09 KiB) Viewed 11404 times
What happens if you view the labels from a client on a different computer that has a different operating system?
Beth Kieler

rak

Post by rak » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:03 pm

I reproduced this on a Vault 5.0.0 client running on Windows 8.1 talking to a Vault 5.0.0 server. Also reproduced on a Vault 9.1 client running on Windows 7 SP1 talking to a Vault 9.1 server.

As mentioned this appears to be a repository specific issue, where it doesn't work in an existing repository with existing data but worked fine in an empty repository.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Just to make sure your database is ok, can you run the command

Code: Select all

DBCC CHECKDB('sgvault') 
on your SQL Server and let me know the results?
Beth Kieler

rak

Post by rak » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 pm

CHECKDB is running and will likely take awhile. We check the DB weekly so there shouldn't be any problems.

I have some more experimental data.
  • In the above example I gave, it is impossible to get the labels for LabelTestB when LabelTestA is selected, but it is sometimes possible to get labels for LabelTestB when $ is selected.
  • The level of nesting that LabelTestA or LabelTestB reside under doesn't seem to matter.
  • Selecting the parent of LabelTestA (that's not yet $) still doesn't work to give me the recursive labels of LabelTestB.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? I'd like to take a closer look.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Here's an update for any who may be following this thread. A bug was found where when you are using folder security it can affect the ability to see labels recursively. The admin user can see the labels as long as that admin has not been added to any other groups. A fix is in the works.

HS: 249041
F: 19880
Beth Kieler