Vault 6 Admin (via SOAP)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rabbey

Vault 6 Admin (via SOAP)

Post by rabbey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi

I'd like to give one of our clients access to the admin functions to enable/disable users tied to their admin group.

I don't want to give them Admin rights to login to our system. Rather I'd like to send them a utility app that connects to vault (with admin credentials behind the scenes), lists the users that are associated with their group and them lets them enable or disable those users.

I figured I'd pull in the WSDL references into a C# project but I really don't see an obvious place to start
1) Authenticating, 2) making request to list users, 3) modifying the status of a user.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Beth

Re: Vault 6 Admin (via SOAP)

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Vault doesn't have an updated API to admin. Even if you used SQL Queries in the back end, there's the encryption Vault uses to think about. It would be much safer to have someone internally manage a customer's users.

There is the old Vault 4.x api in your Vault website in vaultservice/vaultadminservice.asmx. It's not supported any longer and being that old it might mess things up. I don't know that you could block anyone from messing with other users or giving themselves more rights than they should have. It would be 100% at your own risk.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks for answering my post!

So a follow up question to that which addresses the actual problem.

Is there a way to configure an admin user to have access to only certain users/repositories? For example. Having set up groups, to which users belong and have access to detain repositories, I can give one of those users admin rights for objects assigned to those groups?

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 am

On the admin web page under an individual repository click on Repository Access. In that area you can make a user a Full Admin for that repository. That user will then have access to any of the admin functions for that repository only. That feature will not include access to anything under Server Settings.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support