file based merging

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mattyshum

file based merging

Post by mattyshum » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm

I was wondering if there is a way to do a merge than only cares about individual files that changed. We don't care about when something in a folder changed, we only care about individual files.

Right now to do a merge we have to select folders that we want to merge. The dialog that appears "Select Changes to be Merged" doesn't display filenames associated with changes, so we have to double click each change to find out which one is associated with the file we changed. It's a bit annoying.

What would work better for us is if we could right click on an individual file and have a Merge dialog for that one file. Then we could merge that one file into the file it branched from. We only ever branch individual files. Folders are only used to organize our files.

Is there any way to set things up to behave that way?

At the very least I would like to request a column be added to that Select Changes to be Merged window showing the file affected by each change to make it easier to find what change I want.

Hope I'm making sense :) Im pretty new to the whole thing.

Beth

Re: file based merging

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Later in the process you will receive a list of all the files affected. There you can check only the files you want merged and uncheck those you don't want merged.

The only other options I can think of are:

A) Perform a Get on files, but when the options window comes up, select the target folder (make sure you checked out the target folder or files) and choose Attempt Automatic Merge.

B) Individually diff each file and manually move over changes.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support