Issue with Eclipse Interface to Vault (neon)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mmorris

Issue with Eclipse Interface to Vault (neon)

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 pm

The Vault-Eclipse interface has been working well for several days. (Successfully installed earlier this week.)

However, this afternoon the refresh command is gone from my Vault interface inside Eclipse.

When re-starting Eclispe I get the following error in a message box.
Title of error box:
Error refreshChangeSetCommand
Inside error box:
An error occurred while running command: (unknown error)

One more error message below. Trying to reboot computer next (Windows 10, 64-bit). Restarted Eclipse several times with no positive effect; in fact, the error seems to be getting a little more 'active'.

Is it necessary for me to save my password in the Eclipse-Vault interface? That seems a bit of a security risk.

In the Vault interface (within eclipse), the following details are given:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.controls.PendingChangeSetControl$6.run(PendingChangeSetControl.java:331)
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.controls.PendingChangeSetControl.refresh(PendingChangeSetControl.java:1230)
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.controls.PendingChangeSetControl.<init>(PendingChangeSetControl.java:1070)
at com.sourcegear.vault.ui.views.PendingChangeSetView.createPartControl(PendingChangeSetView.java:22)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.createPartControl(CompatibilityPart.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityView.createPartControl(CompatibilityView.java:143)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.create(CompatibilityPart.java:340)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:966)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:931)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:151)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:375)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:294)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:162)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:105)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:74)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:56)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.ContributedPartRenderer.createWidget(ContributedPartRenderer.java:129)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createWidget(PartRenderingEngine.java:975)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:651)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$1.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:536)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:520)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.ElementReferenceRenderer.createWidget(ElementReferenceRenderer.java:70)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createWidget(PartRenderingEngine.java:975)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:651)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:757)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.access$0(PartRenderingEngine.java:728)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$2.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:722)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:706)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.StackRenderer.showTab(StackRenderer.java:1324)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.LazyStackRenderer.postProcess(LazyStackRenderer.java:103)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:669)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:757)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.access$0(PartRenderingEngine.java:728)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$2.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:722)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:706)

Thank you! (If on reboot, it all works, I will let you know on Monday, 9/18/17).

Beth

Re: Issue with Eclipse Interface to Vault (neon)

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Is it necessary for me to save my password in the Eclipse-Vault interface?
No, you don't need to save it.

Had anything changed on the machine since you had it working, such as any updates?

Do you shut down Eclipse and Vault at the end of the day or are they continuously running? Does your machine get shut down at night?

If still failing, make a copy of the files you changed, and then undo the check out. Then redo the check out and put your changes back to see if you can check in.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 pm

This morning we did have some updates to Office 365, and Outlook, and it seems like the computer now needs a LYNC connetion (which is set up automatically). It seemed to be fine until this afternoon, but some of the changes (like the LYNC) only seemed to happen this afternoon.

We were under some phish-ing attacks (not my computer in particular though), and some things needed to be changed overall.

Lots of error messages available in Eclipse, but the main one is 'Plug-in com.sourcegear.vault.team was unable to load class com.sourcegear.vault.team.ui.ConnectionPropertyTester'.

Reboot didn't help. Thank you for the initial feedback. Please let me know of any things to try. Perhaps I need to re-import my security certificate into java.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Take a look at what was posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11629

In particular this post:
I figured it out through some trial an error and hunting through prefs files.

In the workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs file, there is a ENABLED_DECORATORS= key. One of the comma separated key-value pairs is:
com.sourcegear.vault.team.LabelDecorator\:true

On my machine that wasn't working, the "value" was false instead of true. I edited the prefs file and the exception went away. I believe this is also related to the comment I made about the null pointer exception in the decorator code (see an earlier reply in this thread). It appears that sometimes, the vault team plugin may be disabling its decorator which causes problems. I would have your developers track down the Null Pointer issue in the decorator code, that may solve it completely.
Give that a try.

Otherwise, with all the changes that happened, you might want to start over.
Beth Kieler

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 am

Hi.

Looks like that solution is for Vault 4.1.4 (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11629), and I'm currently on Vault Standard 9.1.0.
That key-value pair is no longer stored in that location, and it's looks like that key-value pair no longer exists. (Will re-try search in multiple IDEs)

I think I'll also try seeking out key-value pairs that the vault interface is claiming is an issue in my error log. I'll also try starting over after that.

Thank you.

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 am

Hi,

I've made no changes, and it's working at least temporarily.
Next time this happens I'll show images. I just found the 'upload attachment' option in this support page.

If it happens again, I'll investigate if I can see all changes from the Vault side of the interface. If I can see all changes there, I could just do my version control from that side until the error resolves itself.

I'll keep an eye on it. We plan to move to version Vault 10.0 Standard on 9/27/17, and so it'll be a new ballgame then in any case.

Thank you!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:00 am

Well, it's happening again, so I can provide a bit more data.

Because of '1', this is not high priority. Would be nice to solve though.

1) I can analyze and perform version control from the Vault side. So I can work around the issue (Eclipse 'Pending Change Set' error.)

2) The error is similar to the one you quoted: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11629, in that it's also a 'java.lang.NullPointerException' and also that the error is sometimes related to 'ConnectionPropertyTester', though today it looks to be more related to 'PendingChangeSetControl'.
However, in this version of Eclipse/Vault/'E-V interface', that key value pair is not in the same location. So that solution doesn't translate directly. Hopefully there is a key-value pair somewhere that will fix this... or maybe that key-value pair has been moved between Vault 4.1.4 and 9.1.0 (584) Standard. Do you know where I can find it? The previous info was:
"In the workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs file, there is a ENABLED_DECORATORS= key. One of the comma separated key-value pairs is:
com.sourcegear.vault.team.LabelDecorator\:true"

3) The previous posts in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11629 mention that there is (at least for OS X) a preferred version of java, and also that Eclipse is disabling something. Is there a better version of 64-bit java for Windows 10 that I should be using? Currently using:
java version "1.8.0_144"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_144-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)

4) Starting a fresh workspace also 'solves' the problem, at least temporarily.

5) The issue today may have been caused by Eclipse not being shut down properly. I left it on overnight, and my computer was rebooted by our IT team... without Eclipse getting a chance to shut down properly, and a generic message said some 'properties' (probably related to how eclipse works with java) were reset to a previous value. Unfortunately previously (2 times ago) it was broken, and it could have 'reset' to that... since that was the last good exit.

Though we will be moving to Vault Standard 10.0 9/27/17, I figure the same issue might exist there, so might as well try to solve this. Especially if the issue is Java related, or with Eclipse itself (as previous solution indicates).

Thank you!

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:43 pm

It looks like the Null Pointer Exceptions are pretty common with Eclipse, and there are variety of possible solutions. I have several more things to try (and some that look dangerous) at:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/437 ... -file-open

and:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/229 ... nternalfix

etc.

Though if you have any magic tips/tricks (like you see a similar key to the 'previous solution'), please let me know.

Thank you. Have a great day.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Let's try this:

a) Start Eclipse, and log in.
b) Do you see the "Pending Change Set" tab in Eclipse's Development Perspective? If so, select it and bring it to the front.
c) Close it (the 'X' in the tab)
d) From the menu, go to Window -> Show View -> Other. In the dialog, type in 'Pending'. You should be able to Highlight Vault's Pending Change Set view, and then click OK.

Now use Eclipse normally (checking the Pending ChangeSet view every so often). Do you encounter the error at this point?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear