Email Notifications stopped after upgrade to 9.1

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PhilS

Email Notifications stopped after upgrade to 9.1

Post by PhilS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Everbody!
We recently upgraded our ancient Vault 4.1.4. installation to Vault 9.1. As recommended in the upgrade guide we upgraded in stages. This process went well...

...but I just realized we did not receive any email notifications since this upgrade.

What I have tried so far to get them going again:
- I checked the settings at ../VaultService/Admin/EmailSettings.aspx - Everything is fine and the "Test Settings"-Email is delivered successfully within seconds.
- I double checked my email address in the Client Options at "Notifications".
- I deleted and re-added all "Watched Paths" in the Vault client.
- I checked all "Source Code Control Events"

Still, no dice, no email...

What can we do to re-enable the email notifications?

Beth

Re: Email Notifications stopped after upgrade to 9.1

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 am

Go to the Vault admin web page and click on the link for Vault Plugins. Then click the magnifying glass next to the URL for Notifications. Does it return a list of methods? If not, then that URL needs to be edited. The others may need to be edited as well.

See this KB article for more information: viewtopic.php?t=21347
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

PhilS

Post by PhilS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 am

Thank you for the quick reply!

I edited the web.config files for the notification service and corrected the value for vault_server.
I tried two different settings for vault_server
- https://127.0.0.1/VaultService
- https://real.server.name/VaultService

Neither did fix the problem.

There are two different URLs for the VaultNotifyService:
The active one is https://127.0.0.1/VaultIndexService/Vau ... rvice.asmx
When opening this URL in a browser I get a generic HTTP Error 503 - The service is unavailable

The inactive one is https://real.server.name/VaultService/VaultNotifyService/VaultNotifyService.asmx
When opening this URL in a browser I get a "Server Error in '/VaultService' Application. Cconfiguration error"

In the sgvault.log file there is this message:
----12.03.2018 09:41:06 --()-- The Plugin at https://127.0.0.1/VaultNotifyService/Va ... rvice.asmx was not called with Event Login. Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.

I was not able to find a log file for the VaultNotifyService itself.

The VaultNotifyAppPool is stopped. If I start it manually it reverts to stopped shortly after.

What to do next?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am

The URL you gave for the active service is actually for the index service, not the notify service. Do you have an active URL for the notify service? The inactive one has an incorrect URL. If you have a second active notify service URL, then you can delete the inactive one.

The application pool for the notify service is a problem Go to the Event Viewer on the Vault server and find the entry that says the application pools stopped. What does that error say?

Is the identity for the VaultNotifyAppPool the same as the one for the VaultAppPool? If not, make them match.
Beth Kieler

PhilS

Post by PhilS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am

Beth wrote:The URL you gave for the active service is actually for the index service, not the notify service.
Sorry, I posted the wrong service's URL. - Didn't make too much if a difference though. I had the same issue with the VaultIndexService but wanted to focus on the Notification Service because there the issue was more bothering.
Beth wrote:The application pool for the notify service is a problem Go to the Event Viewer on the Vault server and find the entry that says the application pools stopped. What does that error say?

Is the identity for the VaultNotifyAppPool the same as the one for the VaultAppPool? If not, make them match.
You nailed it!
The error message said:
The identity of application pool VaultNotifyAppPool is invalid. The user name or password that is specified for the identity may be incorrect, or the user may not have batch logon rights. If the identity is not corrected, the application pool will be disabled when the application pool receives its first request...
And that was exactly what happened!
The configured identity was SpecificUser without being any more ... specific. I changed it to ApplicationPoolIdentity As you suggested.
Problem solved! - Thanks a lot for your excellent support once again!

And now excuse me please, while I turn off all those scc notification events that are flooding my inbox. :wink:

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 am

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear you're working again.
Beth Kieler

shawnyadav

Post by shawnyadav » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 am

Hi Beth, Vault is constantly freezing and crashes itself upon some system updates on my PC. Can you please help me? Where shall I send the error logs?
Shawn Yadav
Showbox Mobdro Tutuapp

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 am

Can you make a new forum thread and post the errors you see?
Beth Kieler