File outside project/added to solution folder/no check in

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hgds

File outside project/added to solution folder/no check in

Post by hgds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 am

We are using Visual Studio 2017 (15.6.4) with the enhanced client (10.0.1.30793).

Files in solution folders that are outside of the project folder can not be checked in.

How to reproduce:
- create a project and add it to vault
- create a folder outside of the project, add a file and add both to vault
- open the project with Visual Studio and add a new solution folder (right click solution, add, new solution folder)
- add the file to the folder (right click solution folder, add, existing element, use the file outside of the solution)

Now you see the file with correct status. You can CheckOut the file. If you try to CheckIn, the summary does not recognize the file.

If the file, added to the solution folder, is in some sub folder of the solution (for example /obj/Release/file.txt) the CheckIn works.

Beth

Re: File outside project/added to solution folder/no check i

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 pm

I think this might be normal for individual files that are outside the scope of the solution. I will get this issue logged with the developers to review.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Beth

Re: File outside project/added to solution folder/no check i

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

The layout you are trying to work with is unsupported. One possible resolution is to move the solution file to a higher level so that the solution folder's file would fall within the scope of the solution file.

We have a few KB articles that cover this.

FAQ: viewtopic.php?p=39467#p39467
Project Layout: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18956&p=68332#p68332
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

swilson314

Re: File outside project/added to solution folder/no check in

Post by swilson314 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi,

Here is the scenario we're facing per a Slack post:

I "reuse" many files, e.g. PSPublic and various dev libraries, in my Quiver project. I've added them to the VS Quiver project so they show up in the Solution Explorer. Vault automatically checks out the files when I modify them from the editor, but when I go to check them back in, curiously they aren't listed in the Vault Pending Changes so I have to go the the SourceGear Vault app to check in my changes. Does anyone know a way to get these files to show up in the Pending Changes for checkin?

I read the KB articles referenced above, but what I don't understand is how Vault can find the file and check it out but not be able to locate it during a check in? It would be tremendously helpful if you could fix this.

Thanks, Scott

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your input.

As indicated in the previous thread, the VSIP client takes the path of the solution as the "top" level node. Any paths outside of that path are ignored. There is likely some sort of bug in checkout that is allowing the checkouts to be performed. In the meantime, you can setup a system where the files are shared to a location within the scope of the path found in the solution, which are also shared to the other location.

We will log a feature request for this type of environment to be supported. Hopefully the workaround I suggested will suffice until the feature has been implemented.

Thanks,

Tonya

swilson314

Post by swilson314 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Tonya.

We're talking about many hundreds of files in multiple locations, so sharing the files would be quite a bit of work.

Maybe you an trace the source of the checkout "bug" and apply it to checkin ;)