Using Vault with multiple network drives

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jacques.pieterse.tcr

Using Vault with multiple network drives

Post by jacques.pieterse.tcr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 am

We work in an environment where we have multiple network drives registered when logging into our profiles. When trying to add files to the repository, it takes a while for Vault to display the add files / folder dialog.

My assumption is that it needs to iterate through all the drives and their folders to build the list.

Is there any way to disable the scanning of network drives (not have them in the add files / folder dialog)

Thanks in advance

Tonya

Re: Using Vault with multiple network drives

Post by Tonya » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 am

Hello,

What version of Vault do you have installed? When using network drives, you will experience some slower performance. We have addressed some of the cause in the latest Vault version.

Do you still experience a delay when invoking the Add Files/Folders dialog when the working folder is set to a local drive?

Thanks,

Tonya

jacques.pieterse.tcr

Post by jacques.pieterse.tcr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 am

Hi Tonya,

We have Vault 10 server and Vault 10.0.1 client installed.

We have 5 network drives that are automatically present when we log into our profiles and this is controlled by our network administrators.

It takes approx. 2 - 3 minutes before the window actually appears (add files / folders).

My assumption is that it needs to build the network drive directories and sub directories. The problem is that one of these drives has 1700 folders in it. So I am assuming that this is causing our problem.

Is there anyway to exclude network drives during the building of the directory list?

Regards,

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

When you invoke the Add Files/Folders dialog and experience the delay, do you have a working folder set? If so, what is your working folder set to? A local drive or network drive?

Thanks,

Tonya

jacques.pieterse.tcr

Post by jacques.pieterse.tcr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 am

Hi Tonya,

Yes, I have a working folder set and it is set locally.

I have done a quick test in the mean time and disconnected all my network drives (gets recreated after login). When I do this the Add Files / Folder dialog appears instantly.

If I remove the network drive that has the 1500+ folders then it takes about 6 seconds.

So it is related to the building of the folder list for all the drives. I don't know if the fact that we are running so many directories in one location constitutes a problem (bug) on your side, but it would be "nice" to be able to disable browsing of network drives.

Regards,

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 am

Hello again,

How many files/folders are found directly under the shared network drive? For example, if the network drive is X:\, how many files/folders are directly under X:\? Also, are those 1500 sub-folders all sibling folders or nested?

Thanks,

Tonya

jacques.pieterse.tcr

Post by jacques.pieterse.tcr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 am

Hi Tonya,

At the top most level of X:\ we have 1604 folders.

Each of these folders could contain "x" amount of folders.

I did a quick selection of all the directories and got their properties on windows.

I stopped it at 15 699 folders and 70 000 files.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Jacques

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for passing along the additional details. I have logged a feature request in regards to your situation. This will be considered in upcoming releases. Until then, the only suggestion I have is to restructure your network drive. By default, Vault scans your network drive and all the top level folders. If you reworked drive X:\ to have one folder instead of the 1604 it currently has, the delay would become minimal. An example would be:

X:\Shared\folder1...
X:\Shared\folder2...
X:\Shared\folder3...

With the above scenario, Vault would only scan X:\Shared and not all 1600+ folders.

Tonya