Auto Search change from v6 to v10

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cpede

Auto Search change from v6 to v10

Post by cpede » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am

I used the Search pane all the time in Vault 6.

Here the search pane would update every time I changed the location in the repository tree.
In Vault 10 I can't seem to get this functionality? I can make a search, but it does not follow the location in the repository tree.

I really hope that it is just something I've missed somewhere...

ADDED:
I can see that you have made a "Run Last Search on Selected Folder" menu item, ... in panic...
How do I run this automatically?

-cpede
-cpede
(Vault Standard 10.0.1.793)

joe_sg

Re: Auto Search change from v6 to v10

Post by joe_sg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am

Yes, Search behavior was changed in Vault 9.0. I'm sorry this affected your workflow. The continuous search functionality was an expensive option for users with large or deep folder trees. We would have users experiencing slowdowns from the background search without realizing the cause. So continuous background search was eliminated. Also, as noted, starting with Vault 10 the Search operations were refined to invoke the last search settings on the currently selected folder by simply using Shift+F3 or from the selected folder's context menu.
Joe Ream
SourceGear Technical Support

cpede

Post by cpede » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:27 am

You are right this actually affect my workflow and efficiency a lot when using the new Vault (now after 3 weeks of test). The background search gave me the full overview of the status of the current folder and sub-folders. And files and folders are exactly what you prefer to use when working with Vault (in contrast to e.g. Git which primarily work on tasks).

I would really appreciate a check mark in the search properties to lock on the current folder and do an automatic background search, just like in v6. Then people with huge databases can just choose to ignore this.
-cpede
(Vault Standard 10.0.1.793)

joe_sg

Post by joe_sg » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm

When you say "lock on the current folder", do you mean to "stay put at what is Now the current folder even after I move" (which was Vault 6's behavior when you checked "Lock onto this folder" or do you mean to "synchronize the search root with my current folder as I move around the tree"?

Note that in Vault 10, if you start a search at say c:\a\b\c and check "Automatically refresh every 1 minutes", the search will refresh from c:\a\b\c every minute no matter where you move to on the tree. But if you then hit Shift-F3, the search root will immediately be reset to your current location and a new search will be initiated.

I've logged a feature request to bring back this functionality. (F:19967)

Thanks,
Joe Ream
SourceGear Technical Support

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Tue May 26, 2020 10:28 am

Hi Joe

Our team just upgraded from V6 to V10 and so far this is the only pain point.

When do you plan to restore the auto search feature? We understand the logic behind your decision, but a better option would have been to leave the option to the developer if they wanted to take the performance hit. If it's a server side performance issue, then a global or per repository option.

thanks

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue May 26, 2020 10:42 am

In addition to the perf hit when changing folder to folder, the change was also necessitated to remove instabilities constantly producing incorrect results or causing other reported bugs and problems in the GUI client as users quickly changed from folder to folder.

Stability/correctness of the results is the goal, and so there are no current plans to restore the search while you traverse the tree behavior.

The Shift-F3 option is extremely useful to run the last search query over and over, invoked when you're ready to invoke it on a known folder. Another option users have implemented is to set the query at a common folder, and use an auto-refresh on the search toolbar.
rabbey wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:28 am
Hi Joe

Our team just upgraded from V6 to V10 and so far this is the only pain point.

When do you plan to restore the auto search feature? We understand the logic behind your decision, but a better option would have been to leave the option to the developer if they wanted to take the performance hit. If it's a server side performance issue, then a global or per repository option.

thanks
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Tue May 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the quick response!

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Thu May 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi Jeff

I just wanted to bring this up again because the change to search has really put the cat among the pigeons for us.

Can you ask your product and engineering to review this decision once again. Your customers who pay license fees, etc deserve to have their opinions heard and considered. We were on v6 and we never had any of the issues you described with performance or incorrect statuses.

If you were able to bring this auto search back in the next maintenance release it would be huge win for many users. Make it optional to turn on with a big warning message for an administrator.

Also, in v6 the search tab had an option to "Don't Search"

How would you go about that in V10 client? I can set search criteria and then clear results. Or, I can clear all search criteria and clear results. But if I have "automatically refresh every" checked, then the search box will refresh itself and list all the files in the tree (because of the default *.*). Which seems wrong.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 am

No problem. We definitely welcome valid feedback.

The first post just mentions to launch a search when clicking a repository folder. In order to make sure I have all the details, could you please elaborate on what extra functionality and the problems are solved by the “auto search on folder selection” feature? Is it just the elimination of Shift-F3 or the "Run Last Search..." to invoke the search?
rabbey wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:28 pm
Can you ask your product and engineering to review this decision once again. Your customers who pay license fees, etc deserve to have their opinions heard and considered. We were on v6 and we never had any of the issues you described with performance or incorrect statuses.

Perhaps I don't understand your question fully here, so please correct me if this answer is incorrect. In Vault 10, unchecking the "Automatically refresh..." checkbox will stop future searches.
Also, in v6 the search tab had an option to "Don't Search"

How would you go about that in V10 client? I can set search criteria and then clear results. Or, I can clear all search criteria and clear results. But if I have "automatically refresh every" checked, then the search box will refresh itself and list all the files in the tree (because of the default *.*). Which seems wrong.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Fri May 29, 2020 10:24 am

Yes this is about the removal of the auto search from v10 as you navigate from tree node to tree node. We're asking that it could be restored so that you don't have to manually Shift+F3

As for the "don't search" option. I just wanted clarification about auto search checkbox. You've completely changed the search criteria configuration between v6 and v10 so it cannot work the same now. I just wanted to be certain there wasn't something I missed.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Just to provide you with a bit more background info. The Repository Search was implemented in Vault 9 ( Dec 2015 ). As mentioned, on large, large repository trees, users would leave on the search feature quite often, and had performance problems when clicking around the repository (changing folders quickly) or other problems when the GUI client gained app focus, the user invoked refresh, or the auto-refresh feature kicked in. This also caused other issues in lost search results, incorrect search results, search result selection changes, and other bugs related to searching, including invoking actions from search results (after search results changed).

That search was replaced with "Repository Search". To highlight a few options, Repository Search lets you search on file names (like before), but also exclude files (by wildcard or name) and recursively search into cloaks or not. Repository Search expanded the File Status Search in that multiple statuses can now be considered, not limited to one status at a time. In addition, Repository Search allows users to combine File Status searching along with Check Out Status and File/Pin state. Repository Search can also find files that have been deleted or files within working folders that have not been added to the Vault Folder. There are a few more options you may see on the search dialog.

Later versions of Vault, user feedback asked for a faster way to invoke the same search. The keyboard command Shift-F3 (or context menu command) was added. This allows an end user to use the same search criteria over and over between changing the repository folder, and still provide the stability of results.
As for the "don't search" option. I just wanted clarification about auto search checkbox. You've completely changed the search criteria configuration between v6 and v10 so it cannot work the same now. I just wanted to be certain there wasn't something I missed.

Got it. I've also added your comments listed here in support of the feature/change request, noted by (F:19967).
rabbey wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:24 am
Yes this is about the removal of the auto search from v10 as you navigate from tree node to tree node. We're asking that it could be restored so that you don't have to manually Shift+F3
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear