Clarification on Migration Process

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rabbey

Clarification on Migration Process

Post by rabbey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I've done a little digging into how to migrate Vault from one SQL Server to another.

Moving the Vault, VaultPro or Fortress Databases viewtopic.php?t=924
Move Vault to new SQL Server and Upgrade viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22428
Upgrading Guide viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11648&
FAQ: Moving Vault (Server and Database) to a new machine viewtopic.php?t=228

I think my particular case is a little different and I couldn't find an explicit description for it although this came pretty close
Moving the Vault, VaultPro or Fortress Databases viewtopic.php?t=924

I currently have Vault App Server and Database on the same server (let's call it DEV01). I'm planning to move the Database to a new database server (e.g., DB01) and the Vault App Server to new App Server (e.g., APP01).

When I originally set up Vault, I had installed with Integrated Security (app pool identity set to Network Service) since everything was running on the same machine.

With this new configuration, I'm installing Vault onto APP01 with the Existing Database installation option, and pointing to the existing Databases using SQL Server authentication on the DB01 server.

In my scenario, do I need to drop any users from my restored databases on DB01, before commencing with the install on the new App Server APP01?

Will the "Install with existing database" add the necessary SQL Server logins to the restored databases on DB01 even if they are missing?

thanks

Tonya

Re: Clarification on Migration Process

Post by Tonya » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

Hello,

Users in the restored database that will no longer exist on the new SQL Server, can be deleted, but it is not necessary.

Since the configuration will now be using SQL Server authentication, the installation should be provided with a SQL Server account which has full administrative rights ('sa' usually will suffice). This won't be used by Vault Server itself, but the installer will use it to create 'sgvaultuser' accounts on SQL Server and the vault related databases ensuring the SQL Server account and the SQL logins have correct access.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

rabbey

Post by rabbey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks Tonya!

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:19 pm

You're very welcome!

Tonya