How to rollback entire change set?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

danialgibson

How to rollback entire change set?

Post by danialgibson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Is there any way in Vault 2 to rollback an entire change set? I can roll back individual files, but not the entire set.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:08 pm

Sorry, that isn't available yet. It is on our feature list though - thanks for the request.

christian

Post by christian » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:53 am

dan wrote:... It is on our feature list though - thanks for the request.
I'd like to add my vote to this feature.
Thanks
Christian

christian

Post by christian » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:11 pm

Also a compliment to being able to rollback a change set is to be able to view a list of change sets and be able to drill into an item in the list to see the items that were committed and better still, be able to do a diff on the before and after image of an item that was changed.

I know that you can get to the list of change sets in a around-about fashion by viewing folder history by version on the root folder but this is not at all obvious that this is what you're looking at.

Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:54 pm

christian wrote: I'd like to add my vote to this feature.
Will do

dan

Post by dan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:00 pm

christian wrote:Also a compliment to being able to rollback a change set is to be able to view a list of change sets and be able to drill into an item in the list to see the items that were committed and better still, be able to do a diff on the before and after image of an item that was changed.

I know that you can get to the list of change sets in a around-about fashion by viewing folder history by version on the root folder but this is not at all obvious that this is what you're looking at.
Is it the naming or location of the command that is confusing? I ask because all the functionality being requested is there, plus it gives the added capability of limiting the transaction history by folder. Are you envisioning a separate command elsewhere that does the same thing, but only works on the root folder?

When we implement transaction/change set rollback, it is that dialog where the command would go, so it would be good to get feedback on what the confusion points are before we put it there. :)

christian

Post by christian » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:42 pm

I'm really not decided about this. I think it has something to do with the naming of the options that makes it not so obvious that what you're seeing is a list of change sets that happen to touch the folder you're viewing history on.

Just mulling over an example. Suppose you view history on a folder by version and you see in the list version 1 and version 2. Lets assume that change set number 10 (ie the 10th change set committed to the database) touched the folder moving it from version 1 to 2. Its not obvious looking at the version 1 and version 2 items that version 2 actually represents change set number 10.

I just think there's not a clear enough visual connection that version 2 = change set 10.

Also I don't think its possible to select an item and do a diff on the before and after image of the items listed directly from this drill down menu. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here 'cause I'm waiting on v3.0 before installing our licensed copy of Vault and the current client isn't displaying anything when viewing a folder by version!

Christian

dan

Post by dan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

christian wrote: Also I don't think its possible to select an item and do a diff on the before and after image of the items listed directly from this drill down menu. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here 'cause I'm waiting on v3.0 before installing our licensed copy of Vault and the current client isn't displaying anything when viewing a folder by version!
You can do a diff between folder versions in that dialog (which correspond to the change sets), but it is really slow, because it downloads both versions to disk and lets the diff program compute it. We need to be smarter about it and have the Vault client itself compute the diffs, which would be a lot faster.

This enhancement unfortunately won't be available in 3.0, but we want to do it for a later release.

christian

Post by christian » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:18 am

dan wrote:This enhancement unfortunately won't be available in 3.0, but we want to do it for a later release.
Add my vote to this one as well please!

Did my little example strike a note with you or do you think the dialog is ok as is?

Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:34 am

christian wrote: Did my little example strike a note with you or do you think the dialog is ok as is?
I guess I have to think about it some more. On the one hand, if other transactions are happening somewhere completely unrelated to the project you are working on, I would think that listing those transactions might be more annoying that useful.

However, if you are viewing the transactions of one part of a project, and there are other changes that happened in between that were part of the same project, but not where you are viewing, I could see that as being relevant. However, if that is the case, you can easily invoke history on the entire project.

So, I guess I'm not convinced there is much gain in having a separate dialog that lists the equivalent of a history by version at root, but I'm still open to reasons :)

christian

Post by christian » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:43 am

dan wrote: I guess I have to think about it some more. On the one hand, if other transactions are happening somewhere completely unrelated to the project you are working on, I would think that listing those transactions might be more annoying that useful.
Totally agree
dan wrote: However, if you are viewing the transactions of one part of a project, and there are other changes that happened in between that were part of the same project, but not where you are viewing, I could see that as being relevant. However, if that is the case, you can easily invoke history on the entire project.
Not sure whether I follow (I'll probably need to reread a couple of times!).
dan wrote: So, I guess I'm not convinced there is much gain in having a separate dialog that lists the equivalent of a history by version at root, but I'm still open to reasons :)
How about having the change set number as an additional column in the view folder by version. This will then allow a user to say ah, version 2 of this folder was as a consequence of committing changes in change set 10.

What do you think?

Christian

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:32 am

christian wrote:How about having the change set number as an additional column in the view folder by version. This will then allow a user to say ah, version 2 of this folder was as a consequence of committing changes in change set 10.
We don't really store one-up numbers for transactions for a single repository, so the best we could do here is display the root node's version number along with the folder being viewed. But, I think that might be just as confusing.

I guess I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of showing whether transactions in other folders happened in between transaction that apply to the input folder...

christian

Post by christian » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:34 am

dan wrote: I guess I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of showing whether transactions in other folders happened in between transaction that apply to the input folder...
Maybe you're right, I just didn't make the connection between seeing folder version and then when double-clicking on that version I'm seeing a change set.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 am

I wonder if the confusion point is that sometimes it is called "change set" and sometimes "transaction". Perhaps we need to tighten that up a little.

christian

Post by christian » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:28 am

I think so. Using words interchangeably can get confusing at times.