How to rollback entire change set?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Dmitri Shvetsov

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:52 am

mlippert wrote:Dimitri,
I'm not sure what you're asking for, but it doesn't sound like rolling back a changeset which is what this thread was originally about.

Your quote from Dan doesn't seem to have originated in this thread.

BTW I'm pretty sure that Vault has a binary diff (well by CRC) for determining changed files, in version 3 and later at least.

Mike
Mike, I just improved this idea. We need to have a way to get the files from the server on the required date/time. But if we correct some fo these files we need a simple way to merge these changes with the latest version of these files stored on the server without rewriting them. My original message was describing this feature.
Dmitri S

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Dimitri,
I don't think what you want is related to rollback of a changeset. Rolling back a changeset makes the latest version of a file in Vault be the one prior to when the changeset was committed.

Rolling back a changeset is more complicated than rolling back a single file because if CS1 changes files ABCD, and CS2 changes files CDEF, and CS3 changes files AG, then what do you do if somone requests that CS1 be rolled back? I expect it requires some thought and some UI so that the person making the request can realize they are also removing some of the changes made in CS2 and CS3.

However what I think most of us requesting this feature want is the simple version, ie rollback all changes in a changeset provided that no subsequent changes have been made to any of the files in the changeset, otherwise fail (preferably with a list of files that have been subsequently changed).

What it sounds like you're asking for is the ability to checkout an older version of a file, make changes, and then have Vault attempt an automatic merge the same way it would right now if you had checked that version out when it was the tip version.

From what I can tell in the version I'm running (ver 3.1.8 ), you can do that now.

I'm still not sure I understand your scenario however.
It sounds like the standard do new development on the trunk, when ready for release, branch the trunk, then continue new development on the trunk.

If a problem is found in the release, make changes in the release branch, and then merge those changes back to the trunk so that the trunk contains the newest development and all bug fixes made to a prior release.

Vault lets you do all that right now although the merge of the release fixes back to the trunk can be a little time consuming (that's supposed to be improved in Vault ver 4.0).

Mike

Dmitri Shvetsov

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:01 pm

mlippert wrote:Dimitri,
What it sounds like you're asking for is the ability to checkout an older version of a file, make changes, and then have Vault attempt an automatic merge the same way it would right now if you had checked that version out when it was the tip version.
Mike
Mike, I don't mean the automatic merge provided by Vault, no, no,no! It's very complicated, I know about that. But having the older version changed I'd like to have a way to merge the changes manually before I return back to the latest version. Probably I already can do that comparing the changed version with the latest one. But this way is more complicated because I'd prefer to take the latest version and apply a simple change/fix that we've done to the older version.
Dmitri S

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Just wanted to let you know we've been following the discussion. We do have a feature request logged for the ability to rollback a changset and, I'll add a "vote" from Dmitiri. If a rollback isn't quite what you want, let us know.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Dmitri Shvetsov

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:32 pm

lbauer wrote:Just wanted to let you know we've been following the discussion. We do have a feature request logged for the ability to rollback a changset and, I'll add a "vote" from Dmitiri. If a rollback isn't quite what you want, let us know.
Linda, thanks a lot for your message! Yes, we all in our team need the complete roll-back feature.

My proposal was to add a new additional feature to this complete roll-back feature to let me edit the previous generation of the code and to merge the change using the latest generation of the same file. In most cases the bug fixes are not very significant, and the merging should not be very complicated if we do that manually using some tool like Araxis Merge or even the Vault build-in souce comparison. But the direction is important if we compare these changes. If we rolled back then the current version on our local machine is the version that we got after this roll back. When we make a change any posting of this file up to the server should be restricted for sure because it will break the latest code or at least the user should get the warning. So maybe it makes sense to grab the latest version from the SG again, but reserve the modified files in some place to get the changes from these files applied to the latest code. I can't imagine for now how it can be implemented yet, but something like that. Maybe we could discuss that in another thread. Just imagine - we found that we made some mistake in the release and the code should be like >, not like >=. So we have to fix that, recompile and upload the fixed app, but then we need to get the latest code and continue working with this code. If we made this simple change we can easily recall where and how it was done to reproduce in the latest code. But if the changes are many, then we need to save the modified file, return to the latest code, compare the files using some external tool, because this file is not in the Vault anymore, and only then continue working.

I hope I explained the idea.

Thanks,
Dmitri

tonyrogers

More votes for this feature

Post by tonyrogers » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi,

Please add my vote for the 'Rollback Changeset' feature. I am currently in process of manually rolling back 78 files from a single check in by a developer on my team during code freeze. Just being able to click "Rollback" on the changeset to rollback all files to previous version (+ delete new files, undelete deleted files) would make life very simple in these cases...

There are 5 others on my team who are suffering due to this mistake - do I need them to vote individually, or can you count their votes here?

Is there any word on whether this is likely to actually make a release anytime soon?

Thanks in Advance

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 pm

It's still under consideration for a future release -- perhaps 5.0?

I've added a link to this forum post to the feature request, so the developers can decide how many "votes" to count. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Please add one more vote.. There is no better way to know what's going on than by seeing the changesets that came it, and then is someone screwed up, undoing all the changes in one click...
gabriel magana-gonzalez

PACEGMBH

Post by PACEGMBH » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:18 am

Please add one more vote for the 'Rollback Changeset' feature request.

micke_314

Post by micke_314 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:31 am

I speak for every developer at my company when I am saying.

Please add 27 more votes for the 'Rollback Changeset' feature request. :)
Micke

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Done.

This is currently scheduled for Vault 5.0.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

achen

Re: How to rollback entire change set?

Post by achen » Thu May 23, 2013 1:16 pm

We are using Vault Standard client version 5.1.1.19215

Has this feature been added to Vault 5 Standard? If so, how do I access the change set rollback feature?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

This feature didn't make Vault 5.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 am

Vault 7 will include a new feature, "Folder Rollback" This will take create a changeset that once committed will put that folder's contents back to a previous version.

See http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... tline.html for some of the planned features for Vault 7.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear