Differences Between Labels

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mdjtlj

Differences Between Labels

Post by mdjtlj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 am

Greetings,

Is there anyway to show the differences between labels? Right now 10.0.2, you can do a history search between labels to see the actions, which is a good feature, but I'm looking for the ability to see the actual differences in source between two labels that I've got on my project. Right now, when you do show differences, it only allows you to look at the current version of the file and the selected labels, I'd like to see between two labels.

The reason that I need this is that I've got a client that wants to see the source changes that are made between different versions and I've been using labels to create document the final builds. (I know, not the best way, but it's simple).

Michael

Tonya

Re: Differences Between Labels

Post by Tonya » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:54 am

Hi Michael,

I believe Vault has the option you are looking for. In the Vault GUI Client, select your file followed by Show History, run the query according to the parameters that you'd like. When the History Explorer dialog appears, select the label, right click and select Diff. When the Show Differences dialog appears, select "A label applied to this folder/file" and select the label that you'd like to compare. This will invoke the Diff application displaying the actual differences in the file between the two labels.

Please let me know if this is not the option you were looking for.

Thanks,

Tonya

mdjtlj

Post by mdjtlj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am

Greetings Tonya,

That's easy to do for a single file, what I'm trying to do is get all the files in a folder that have changed between two defined labels. It's easy to search history, but then you have to do the diffs one by one and you're not given the option to see the differences between labels, just the current version in the repository and the labeled version that you select.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Thank you for confirming! Are you familiar with the Folder Changes Archive feature? You can invoke it by selecting your folder from the tree, then select from the menu bar Tools, Create Folders Changes Archive. When the Folder Changes Dialog appears, you can select a label for Begin and End. Modify the rest of the requirements in the dialog as needed. The files changed between the two labels will be located in the Save As location you specified after you submit OK.

Is this feature more adequate?

Tonya

mdjtlj

Post by mdjtlj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Tonya,

That is a good feature, but doesn't quite show what is needed without a lot of additional work. Here is the deal, getting beat up by auditors to show that I only changed in the code what is relevant to the ticket. They say you can sneak stuff in. OK, not happening, but I get their point.

If I run the "Folder Changes Archive" that gives me a text report and a copy of the files that were changed, however, there is no reference to what it was changed from and then to. If you highlight the folder and right click to "Show Differences" this gives a nice application screen that shows me files that have been added/deleted/modified/same. When I click on the line, it'll go the first change point. That would be super cool to be able to do between labels.

When getting audited, these guys like to see you do the change set in real time and in a form that can't be modified. Which is what the "Show Differences" shows you (albeit just between the current version and selected label, not between labels).

The functionality that you listed is on the right path, it would just be better if it was fully formed like "Show Differences"

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 am

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure I understand all your requirements but can you try the following:
  • Within the GUI client, select the folder in question.
  • From the menu, choose View -> Show Labels
  • Select your starting label ( the 'from' label )
  • While holding Control, select your ending label (the 'to' label ) so only the two labels are selected
  • From the menu, Diff...\
I was going to suggest this last week, but perhaps misunderstood the post where you said you wanted to "get all the files in a folder that have changed between two defined labels", where you wanted to GET only the changed files to disk.

Diffing from Show Labels will do a folder type of diff on both labels on disk. Hopefully, from there a print out or screenshot can provide you with the info you're looking for.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

mdjtlj

Post by mdjtlj » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am

Greetings,

That's it, the capability was there, just didn't see it. Many thanks for this.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am

Glad we were able to find what you were looking for.

Thank you for using SourceGear Vault
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear