SourceGear/VSS handoff question

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MichaelC

SourceGear/VSS handoff question

Post by MichaelC » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Visual Source Safe does not install on Windows Server 2016. (The setup.exe will not unpack its files to initiate the setup process). So I am wondering if this is feasible:

-Archive my VSS db on Current Server. (Windows Server 2008 R2)
-Use SSRESTORE to restore VSS to the New Server (Windows Server 2016)
-Install SourceGear on the NEW Server.
-Use Handoff to create the SourceGear copy of the last version as well as maintaining the VSS history of all projects.

Can I restore to a server not running Visual Source Safe. I'm guessing that I can since I'm restoring the backend db only but I'm not sure. Similarly, will Handoff preserve a link to the history or would I need a full import?

Thanks very much for any information. I am only a very casual user of SourceGear and was tasked with this issue.

Thanks,
MIke

Tonya

Re: SourceGear/VSS handoff question

Post by Tonya » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello,

Before moving forward, I think it would be best to figure out which VSS import you'd like to utilize.

Not sure if you've already seen this but we have a VSS to Vault migration guide available on our website:

http://sourcegear.com/vault/documentati ... yGuide.pdf

We also have a KB article in regards to the different import options we have available with the pros and cons:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21598

Once you know which VSS import would best suit your needs, I can provide you with more information.

Thanks,

Tonya

MichaelC

Post by MichaelC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi Tonya,

Thanks for you response. I've used Handoff in he past to connect to a few existing VSS project and have created new ones in SourceGear - all of which went fine.

What I am trying to wrap my head around is whether I can restore a full VSS archive to a new Windows Server 2016 machine on which I am unable to install VSS. This may not be the right place to ask. Logically, the VSS db is just a back end, so as long I have the VSS client installed locally, I think I should be OK. Was just wondering if any SourceGear users had gone this route.

So I will try a full archive and restore to the new machine and if that works, then handoff will be the way to go.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Mike

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 am

Hello again,

Yes, unfortunately, this is more of a Microsoft question. Sorry that I could not be more helpful.

Tonya