Splitting Database, moving folders between repositories?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ccinspire

Splitting Database, moving folders between repositories?

Post by ccinspire » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:41 am

I need to know if it is possible to move folders between repositories, keeping history intact?

Explanation:
We are using an old SQL Server Standard license and have a 21GB database. The company is moving forward with SQL Server 2019 Express as it has a free license and SQL Server Standard 2019 licensing with a 4 core minimum is near 10K. SQL Server Express has a 10GB size limit. Vault is the ONLY database over 2GB in our entire company.

We have many older clients that are not active or a few very large ones that take up the majority of the vault database size. My hope is to create a second repository called "retired clients" and move many of them over there. I believe I can permanently delete some clients from the repository but I really don't want to eradicate all of the old ones.

Is there anyway to move stuff around like this so I can have 2 or 3 repositories all under 10GB in database size? Or is my only option to outright delete clients or sink 10K into a license for SQL Server Standard. Being a small company, forking out 10K is not really a viable option just to support Vault.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tonya

Re: Splitting Database, moving folders between repositories?

Post by Tonya » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:44 am

Hello,

The Vault Folder Export Tool will allow you to export folders from one Vault repository to another. You can also import folders into an entirely different Vault database. Something you should take into consideration, when you create a new Vault Repository it does not create a new Vault database in SQL Server. In order to create an entirely new Vault database, you would need to have two Vault Server installations. Vault Folder Export / Vault Folder Import will include the history of the objects directly exported.

The tool is in the Vault Client directory and it's called VaultFolderExportImport.exe. Documentation is in ExportImport.chm in the same directory.

Please note that because it's recreating all history, it can take a while. Also, any obliterate operations can cause the export to fail, since historical transactions are missing.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear