Vault Standard Installation Issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mallamb

Vault Standard Installation Issue

Post by mallamb » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 am

Hi - currently using Vault ver 8, but the server that Vault is running on is being replaced along with our separate SQL server. The new environment we will be using means we have to upgrade to Vault Standard 10.

I'm trying to install Vault Standard 10 onto a Windows 2016 server, with the databases on another server running SQL Server ver 12. We want to run the Vault service using an Active Directory machine account (non-expiring password). This machine account has admin access on the Vault server and sysadmin access on the SQL Server. I am logged onto the server where I want to install the Vault service as the machine account and I have run the installer from the cmd prompt (as admnistrator) using "msiexec /i VaultServer64_10_0_2_936.msi /log MSIlog.txt".

I manage to assign the IIS Process User using the Custom option and using the machine account that has the the admin privilidges, and then get as far as connecting to the SQL Server, where I use Windows Authentication (which again uses the same machine account and has sysadmin privilidges on the SQL Server). The connection is successful and it creates the 4 databases, but then errors when trying to create the stored procedures. I have attched the vault_install.log and the MSILog.txt.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Attachments
vault_install.txt
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
MSIlog.txt
(249.56 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Tonya

Re: Vault Standard Installation Issue

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello,

I have a few questions for you.

The log file indicates that a Vault database could not be found and a new one was created. Can you please confirm that you restored your Vault databases to the new SQL Server? We have a KB article that describes the proper steps to take when you are moving Vault and your databases to a new machine:

viewtopic.php?t=228

Did you follow the above steps?

The error below indicates the managed account did not have rights to the master database:

Only the owner of database "master" or someone with relevant permissions can run the CHECKPOINT statement.
CreateDatabase Error2: Only the owner of database "master" or someone with relevant permissions can run the CHECKPOINT statement.
Vault Standard Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 402
Only the owner of database "master" or someone with relevant permissions can run the CHECKPOINT statement.
Vault Standard Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 402ExitCode on exit: 402

The easiest way to install the Vault Server when SQL Server is located on a different machine is to use SQL Server authentication. However, if your SQL Server is on a different machine, and you want to use Windows Authentication, then the account you choose for the IIS Process Model should not be the machine account, as that only exists on the local machine. In this case, choose a custom account. The custom account needs to be a Windows account which has access to both the SQL Server and the IIS Server, usually a DOMAIN\USER account.

Thanks,

Tonya

mallamb

Post by mallamb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:04 am

Hi Tonya,

thanks you for your response. We switched to SQL server Authentication and the software has installed. However, when I log in to the Web Service as the "admin" user to enter the license keys, none of the menus are active (see attached sceenshot). Looking at the vault_install.log, looks like issues with IUSR account & IIS APPPool access (I have attached the vault_install.log).

Any further guidance would be very appreciated.
Attachments
vault_install.txt
(35.37 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
VaultService Login 2020-04-27 115510.png
VaultService Login 2020-04-27 115510.png (50.32 KiB) Viewed 8879 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:29 am

Hello again,

I have a few more questions.

1) During the install, did you choose Machine, System, or Custom for the IIS Process Model?

2) Are there other websites on this machine?

3) Go to the disk location where Vault was installed. The default location would be under C:\inetpub\wwwroot. Right-click Vault service and click the security tab. What users have read/write permissions there?

Thanks,

Tonya

mallamb

Post by mallamb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 am

Hi Tonya,

thanks for the quick response. In answer to your questions:

1) I chose "Custom" and used an Active Directory account with a non-expiring password (used specifically for running services on the server) - the account has administrator privilidges on the server.

2) Yes, on the same machine we run a web-based Data Analytics/Business Intelligence application

3) The following users have Read/Write permissions on VaultService: IUSR, SYSTEM, MZSKC (system account used for the IIs process model), Administrators , TrustedInstaller, VaultAppPool

Tanks,

Malcolm

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:56 am

Since you have indicated that are installing using a custom account, you may have better results by launching the installer from an administrative command prompt.

Run a command prompt as administrator (right-click and select Run As Administrator) and then use the command:

msiexec /i "path to the Vault installer/vault installer name"

Replace "path to the Vault installer/vault installer name" with the correct information. This should increase your user rights.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks,

Tonya

mallamb

Post by mallamb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:42 am

Hi Tonya,

that is exactly how I did run the instalation program - using the CMD prompt, as administrator, but also with the switch to create a log file.

This results in the screenshot I sent on the earlier post.

Regards,

Malcolm

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 am

Malcom,

Are you able to successfully connect to Vault using the Vault GUI Client?

Can you please send us your Vault Server log? The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine. Please email the log to support@sourcegear.com and reference this forum post.

Thanks,

Tonya

mallamb

Post by mallamb » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Tonya,

yes I can connect to the repositories using the Vault GUI Client, I have sent an e-mail to support@sourcegear.com referencing this topic and with sgvault.log attached.

Regards,

Malcolm