Notification Service Issues

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

snapjeff

Notification Service Issues

Post by snapjeff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:52 am

Several months ago, we upgraded Vault Standard from version 5.1 to 10.0. Since the upgrade, notifications no longer work. Whenever a user changes a file that is watched there is a server log entry of:

“VaultServiceAPI.AuthenticateWithNotificationServer returned 0 URLs.”

Looking into it I found that the notification service plug-in was not active. When I activated it (the real one, not the 127.0.0.1) I get the following exception in the server log:

Uncaught Exception: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
Inner Exception: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Now, when a watched file is modified, I see the following exception in the server log:

The Plugin at http://<<our server>>/VaultService/VaultNotifyService/VaultNotifyService.asmx was not called with Event CheckOut List Change. Exception: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
(some HTML here indicating that the setting “<authentication mode="None" /> in the service's web.config is causing the problem)

[ConfigurationErrorsException]: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (E:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\vaultnotifyservice\web.config line 103)
:
:
The Plugin at http://localhost/VaultShadowFolder/Vaul ... rvice.asmx was not called with Event Change Set. Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

When I click on the magnifying glass next to the plug-in name on the admin page I get “Server Error in ‘/VaultService’ Application”.

Testing email settings from the admin page properly sends a message.

I read the support forum post about a similar issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23016&p=79194&hilit ... ion#p79194
but I could not find anything in the Event Viewer that says the application pool has stopped.

I'm out of ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff

Tonya

Re: Notification Service Issues

Post by Tonya » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for all the details you've provided us with. If you don't mind, could you please email the following to support@sourcegear.com?

1) Your entire Vault Server log (%windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine).

2) Your web.config file for notifications (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultNotifyService\Web.config).

3) Your Notification Server log? (%WINDIR%\Temp\SGVaultNotify\vaultnotifyservice.txt).

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

snapjeff

Re: Notification Service Issues

Post by snapjeff » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 am

The requested files have been sent.