file upload error after move/upgrade to new server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tpavela

file upload error after move/upgrade to new server

Post by tpavela » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:43 am

I've upgraded from Vault Professional 8 to Vault Standard 10. I followed the procedure for moving to a new machine. First off is moving this way valid from Pro to Standard?

Users can login and see the files but are getting an error uploading files, pasted below. Vault 10.1.0.1128 on Windows Server 2016, with SQL 2017.

[8/17/2020 11:47:19 AM] Transaction failed
[8/17/2020 11:47:19 AM] Upload for item $/mis/D4GL/Shipping/smpkg/f_spkshp.per failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.processUploadRequest(HttpWebRequest request, Int64 bytesWrittenThisFile, Int64 uncompressed_length, String itemPath, Boolean updateProgress)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItemCommon(Object t_item, String txID, String fileToken, String diskfile, Boolean bIsImport, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int64& bytesWrittenThisFile)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int64& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[8/17/2020 11:47:19 AM] Transaction failed

Thanks,
Tim

Tonya

Re: file upload error after move/upgrade to new server

Post by Tonya » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello,

Can you please provide me with the steps that you took to transition from Vault Pro to Vault Standard?

If you were upgrading and moving your Vault Server, there are multiple steps involved. In order to transition from Vault Pro to Standard, you will be required todrop the sgdragnet database before installing the Vault Server.

Did you relocate the only the Vault Server? Or does SQL Server reside on the new machine as well?

Thanks,

Tonya

tpavela

Post by tpavela » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi Tonya, Vault and SQL are both on the same new server. I followed the below steps.

Assume you currently have Vault and MS SQL Server on Machine A.

To move the vault server and database, you should install or have an installation of MS SQL Server on the new box (Machine B).

Next move the database to the new machine. For Vault 3.5.x and previous versions, all information is stored in the sgvault database.

For Vault 4.x and 5.x you will need to move the sgmaster and sgvault databases. For Fortress\VaultPro, you will also move the sgdragnet database.

Starting with Vault 6.x (and above), move the sgmaster, sgvault, sgvaultindex and sgnotify databases. For Vault Professional, you will also move the sgdragnet database.

Moving the database can be accomplished in one of two recommended ways:

1) SQL Backup / Restore -

Make a complete backup of the database(s).
Move the backup file(s) to the new SQL Server machine.
Restore all the Vault or VaultPro databases.

Note, when upgrading SQL Server versions ( i.e. SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012 ), this would be the preferred method.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Hello again,

Can you please email your Vault Server log to support@sourcegear.com? The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine.

It could possibly be a permission issue. We had another user that was experiencing the same error as yours due to a missing "temp" directory:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13966&p=80584&hilit ... der#p80584

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Tonya

tpavela

Post by tpavela » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:30 am

Tonya - after trying the below...(although step 1, did not go so well. error was almost like the product is not installed) Then I proceeded to the next two steps. My two users are now able to login with no errors in the error log and they both were able to check in files.

Thank you so much for the fast help.
Tim

We believe something may have gone wrong during the upgrade/move process. You have a lot of SQL errors in your server log file.
Here is what we recommend to resolve the issue:
1) Uninstall Vault server (connecting to SQL Server as an Admin account; keep the database)
2) Check SQL Server to see if it has an 'sgdragnet' database. If so, delete it since you are no longer using Vault Pro
3) Reinstall Vault Server (connecting to SQL Server as an Admin account; keep the database)

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you for posting the outcome. Glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

Tonya