Suggestion: Database Backup Path

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gaffa

Suggestion: Database Backup Path

Post by gaffa » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:21 pm

Just noticed that there appears to be no way to set the backup directory for the database (at least that I could find). The default is C:\Winsows\System32 which apart from being a strange choice is also a bit annoying, as my C: drive only have enough free space for about three backups....

Any possibility of setting the path for a backup to something else by default?

- Matt

dan

There is a registry setting for this.

Post by dan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:23 am

Man, we really need to move our FAQ over here :)

http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/support ... asp#backup

Here's the text:
--------

When I backup the Vault repository, the file goes to my system32 directory. Can I change this?

Where the Vault repository backups are stored is determined by how your copy of SQL is configured. In the registry, there's a key that controls the default backup directory for SQL Server. If that key is missing, the backup location defaults to the System32 directory. Adding a string value to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer
with the name of "BackupDirectory" and the value of the directory path eg.:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP
will set the default backup directory.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:12 am

Dan,

Knew about that one, but that defaults for all databases attached to that server (at least, I'm pretty sure), which is in it's own way messy. I'm not overly concerned about this - I was going to use the BACKUP DATABASE ... sql anyway, which let's me force the backup path on a DB by DB basis.

Just seems like a minor oversight from the point of view of the Admin tool - I guess I see setting the Vault DB backup path as a function of the admin tool, given it's specific to the Vault DB, rather than a server level setting for the SQL server itself (which may host a number of other DB's.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not losing sleep over this :-) - just thought I'd point it out.....

- Matt

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:18 am

Good points, all around. I'll add this as a feature request to our DB.

gaffa

Post by gaffa » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:34 pm

Dan,

While you're at it, adding not just simple backup, but a more 'maintenance plan' approach might be nice - allow the user to set automated backups similar to the SQL Maintenance Plans - so it auto backs up at midnight or whenever, with a fixed naming scheme, and stores say the last two weeks of backups, deleting the oldest backup whenever a new one is created.

This sort of thing is useful for the users who are using MSDE, which has a limited interface to say the least.

- Matt