Feature Request: Add Files functionality and path management

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gmagana

Feature Request: Add Files functionality and path management

Post by gmagana » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:53 am

Hello, I am switching all my projects from no source control to Vault 2.0.

I am adding some projects via the development laguage's IDE if the IDE supports Vault, but other projects and peripheral files I am adding by hand through the Vault client, and it is proving to be very frustrating.

Before adding my projects to Vault, I organized my many projects very well into deeply-nested subdirectories that mirrored how I want to organize Vault data.

Therefore, I am traversing my source directories, adding one project at a time, adding peripheral files at the same time through the Vault client. Here are my frustrations in doing this:

- The Vault client only displays files to add in the Add Files dialog, not directories. So, I must create subdirectories by hand in the main Vault client window, then selecte the new Vault directory, then click "Add Files" to add the subdirectory's files. This must be done one subdirectory at a time and is very error prone. If the "Add Files" dialog in the client would just add subdirectories as well as files, this would be fixed.

- The "Add Files" dialog box does not remember what directory is was just in. This means that each time I want to add files I must navigate to the source subdirectory all the way from the list of drive letters. Combined with the previous point, adding a lot of files to Vault is extremely, extremely frustrating. If the "Add Files" dialog box would remember th last-used path, this would be fixed.

- The "Add Files" dialog box does not have a textbox where you can cut and paste a path to immediately go to it. You must navigate to the exact location through the mouse every time. This is very time-consuming if your directory structure is complex. This would be fixed with such a textbox.

- You cannot add files to Vault by dragging a file onto the main window's file listing. I think it should be much easier to add files to Vault. After the user drags a file (or files and directories) to the file listing the add files dialog/confirmation box should pop up. It should be this easy to add files.

Sorry for the complaining, but I am having one HELL of a time adding files to Vault. This is extremely frustrating and I am afraid I am making mistakes. I do not want to lose files.
gabriel magana-gonzalez

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:56 pm

Sorry this is such a pain. We know the Add dialog needs a lot of work, and it is comments like these that keep bumping it up in priority.

Everything you said is true, with one exception: You actually can add an entire folder with Add dialog - just select a folder in the tree, and press the Add button, and it will recursively add all the files.

However, there are no provisions to filter some files out, so the way we recommend adding files is to create a folder on disk with everything you want to add (delete any obj or exe or other files you don't want in Vault), and then add that one folder. It is much easier that way that adding individual folders and files.

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 pm

Thanks for the tip!

What I will do is add the subtree and then delete and "obliterate" the files I did not want there in the first place. This will make it much easier!
gabriel magana-gonzalez

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:18 pm

I would recommend doing it the other way around - create the tree on disk, and remove files from there before adding to Vault. Deleting and obliterating files from Vault will leave unnecessary history entries in your Vault repository. But, it will work either way...