get question for web project

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

eric

get question for web project

Post by eric » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:33 pm

We use vault (1.2.2) integrated into VS.NET 2003 for Web applications. When you open a solution from source code control, you are prompted for the server, repository, repository path ($/appname) and destination (c:\source\appname), and then for the working directory (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\appname). All is well.

I need to use the command line tool to do this, but when I set the destination with -destpath or setworkingfolder, all the files end up in the same location. I need the .aspx files under wwwroot and the solution and other files under c:\source\appname. How do I do this with the command line tool?

Thanks,
Eric

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:46 am

Unfortunately, Vault only allows one working folder per Vault folder, and the Web Project concept in VS.Net appears to split files into 2 locations. You might need to do 2 gets, one to each location. If you need to modify and checkin files from each location via the CLC, you will need to switch the working folder back and forth between folders to accomplish that.

Note that -destpath is a non-working folder option in the command line. Files will be placed in the -destpath folder, but it won't update their status in Vault, because it isn't a working folder.

One other possiblity is to re-arrange where your files are located in the solution. Put the files that go into c:\source\appname into one Vault folder, and the files that go into c:\inetpub\wwwroot\appname into a subfolder in Vault, and then assign different working folders to each Vault folder. You'd probably have to play around with this in VS.Net to get it right though.

eric

Post by eric » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:01 am

Bummer, but thanks for the reply.

I'm doing the command line as part of an auto build/makefile. I'll probably just get the files all under c:\source and then part of the makefile will be to copy the .aspx files over under wwwroot.

Thanks again,
Eric

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:25 am

Actually, in 2.0, you should be able to use the Vault commandline client's getwildcard in combination with -destpath to send any *.aspx files to another directory.

So step one would be to fetch the source with the regular CLC get command. Step two would end with -destpath c:\wwwroot getwildcard $/turnk/app *.aspx

DarrenS

Post by DarrenS » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:29 am

A more radical approach would be to eschew web projects totally, since IMHO they are chronically broken in VS .NET, and create class libraries instead.

You get pretty much all the functionality of web projects without all the hassle - the moronic stream of error dialogs ("unable to verify that path a matches path b, so I'm not going to open your project...have a nice day", "something's up with source control, so I'm just going to hourglass for a few hours then refuse to open your project", etc.)

You can also put files where you like (no need for \inetpub, in fact no need for IIS even until you deploy), and open projects from wherever you want. Details are here: http://staff.develop.com/onion/Samples/ ... ojects.htm