Vault 2.0 show differences quirks

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ancap

Vault 2.0 show differences quirks

Post by ancap » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:47 pm

A couple minor issues.

Vault 2.0 release
Windows 2003/IIS 6 server
XP Pro/SP1 clients

1) Show difference with last retrieved version on an 'unknown' status file results in a cryptic error message stating that:

File c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\sourcegear\vault_1\client\<a guid, with no braces>\<username>\_sgvault\<a number, apparently signed 32 bit decimal>\<a version such as 633.0> could not be found.

I understand that diffing against an unknown status file in this case would not be valid, but the message is not very useful.

This message is not always seen, in some cases a diff of an unknown status file results in a somewhat more meaningful error dialog 'File Unknown File' could not be found. I am not certain this is necessary or sufficient, but it seems that if I have never gotten, checked out, or diffed vs. most current (as opposed to last retrieved) then I get the 'unknown file' message, but after performing one of the above then diffing the unknown status file vs. last retrieved gives the error with the long path containing the GUID.

2) Selecting 'only show this dialog when shift key is down' doesn't save the chosen option. eg. select diff vs. current, set the 'only show on shift' option - that diff will correctly go against current. Next attempt to diff will not show a dialog, but will attempt to diff against last retrieved instead of current. Behavior does seem to follow a manual default setting in tools/options/diff-merge, but the setting selected when 'only show on shift' is chosen does not appear to affect this option.

Aaron

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:47 pm

We'll log the first issue as a bug/feature request. Unknown files are fairly uncommon, but it should behave better than it does.

For the second issue: that is how all of the dialog options work. If there is a corresponding "global" option in the Tools->option dialog, the dialog always defaults to that (except for the shift-key settings themselves, of course). The default diff option is set in the global options, not in the dialog itself.