Server install removes RSA MachineKeys permissions for users

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jeff

Server install removes RSA MachineKeys permissions for users

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:37 am

I recently installed the 2.0.0 (2120) of the vault server on a Win2k terminal server. After installing I couldn't not log on to another application because of a failure in the crypto library.

I found that the server install removed any access permission to the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys for all user's except the ASP.NET account, which wouldn't allow the other WinForms application to create any machine keys.

I believe the install should only add permissions and not remove any existing.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:19 pm

Thanks for the report. We've had 1 other report of this since releasing Vault 1.0, but have not been able to reproduce it here. Can you send your complete server config (OS, version, service packs, etc), so we can try reproducing this again?

Thanks,

dan

Post by dan » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:23 pm

Also, were you upgrading from a previous version of Vault? If so, which version? It might be the uninstall that is causing the problem...

dactyl

Post by dactyl » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:09 pm

I had a similar problem on a clean install of Vault 2.0 on a Windows 2003 Server. After installing, I wasn't able to generate any new security keys on the computer, until I reset the permissions of the folder dan was talking about. Once I did that, everything works perfectly.

I'm pretty sure the cause was Vault, because prior to installing Vault I didn't have any problems, and after installing Vault, I ran into this issue.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:36 am

The server was a Windows 2000 terminal server with SP 3 installed. The vault server was loaded on this server and the database was loaded on another server with the same OS, but also has Sql Server 2000 installed.

Also, I wasn't upgrading from a previous version of the vault and the uninstall isn't causing the problem, because the first thing I tried was un-installing the vault server and that didn't fix my problem.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:00 am

Can each of you send me your email? I'm not able to reproduce this, and need to get more info from you.

Thanks,