Moving files between two machines, best method?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ggivler

Moving files between two machines, best method?

Post by ggivler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:10 am

I am a single developer who just installed Vault 2.0. I have code that I work on here at work, that I sometimes want to work on at home. I zipped up the files and took them home. When I try add the files to my home installation of Vault, I get a bind error, since it can't find the server. This makes sense since my server names are different.

So I have set the files to work disconnected, is this my only option?

Or am I just trying to do something that the product is not set up to do easily?

Greg

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:52 am

Rather than zipping up the files to take home, install the Vault client on your home machine instead, and then do a Get from there. Our license allows you to login as the same user from anywhere.

You would just want to make sure you check your files in before you switch locations - you can't undo a checkout from a different location, even if it the same user name. However, you *can* check out the same file multiple times by the same user, if you check it out non-exclusively.

ggivler

Post by ggivler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:19 am

I figured I could do that, but currently I don't have access to Vault from my home system, to my work system, I'll have to talk to my boss about that.

I think, I may go the other way and set up my home system so that I can check out the files from home here at work. That may work for me.

Thanks, for the information.

Greg