How do I enable SSL?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

georgek

How do I enable SSL?

Post by georgek » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:20 pm

I'm running Vault 2.0, and I installed the server using a demo license. I've decided to go with Vault, and purchased the 5-pack license. Now I want to start using SSL to better protect our code, but I don't see how to do this. Is there anything to do in Vault server, or are there just some manual steps to do in IIS?

bmschkerke

Post by bmschkerke » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:30 pm

Last edited by bmschkerke on Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ancap

Post by ancap » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:02 am

If you are just working with a small group of developers and externally verifiable security is not your major concern, your simplest route would be a self-signed certificate. Search for IIS6 Resource Kit (it works on IIS5.1 in XP as well) and the utility 'makecert'. You can have SSL up at no cost in a couple minutes going this route, though obviously this doesn't have the external verification of your SSL certificate that purchasing one from Verisign or elsewhere has.

Aaron

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:31 am

fwiw, we installed a microsoft product named certificate server. with this product you can create certificates until the cows come home.

1) generate a cert request from within iis
2) go to the certificate server's web site hosting the cert server
3) submit the cert request from step 1
4) on the cert server process the request
5) go back to the certificate server web site, and pick up the cert
6) now, import the cert from within iis.

of course, these certificates are not signed by a trusted authority, but you just tell the vault client to accept them anyway.

hth
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear