Best practices - renaming/mving files in VS.NET

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrew00

Best practices - renaming/mving files in VS.NET

Post by andrew00 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Just wondering how people currently renamed or moved files using VS.NET 2k3 and Vault.

My experience - if I try to move a file within the IDE, vault considers the old file missing and the new file to be just that - a new file, with no history.

So what I end up doing it renaming the file in Vault, doing a Get Latest to delete the file on disk and then going back and making the IDE recongize this new file.

This works great until I want to move files - though I just figured out that there's a menu option (not a content menu option) to move files from one folder to another. This seems a bit cloogy, especially when such operations are commonplace.

How does everyone else handle this?

andrew00

I forgot...

Post by andrew00 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:52 pm

The reason why this is so annoying is because in ASP.NET, I have to rename not just the .aspx file, but the .cs and .resx files as well.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:50 pm

This is a limitation of the VS.Net IDE. See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... rename+ide for more info.

andrew00

Post by andrew00 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:02 pm

Right - well, I'm not complaining, I get the fact that the VS API is limited. What I'm asking is, am I dealing with it the right way? Is this how everyone else does it?