Moving Vault Outside of Firewall

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ZackJones

Moving Vault Outside of Firewall

Post by ZackJones » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:01 am

Greetings,

We currently have vault up and running just fine on our intranet. We will soon be working on projects where we will be working with other developers and need to move vault outside of our intranet. Other than installing the vault server and moving the database to an external machine are there other issues I should be aware of?

Would it be possible to keep vault on our intranet and just open up some ports on our firewall so those outside could see it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:07 am

I would actually suggest moving Vault to the outside server, and keeping the SQL Server internal.

You could then configure things to only allow SQL Server traffic from the Vault IP address.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:18 am

I'm assuming that you don't want to set up a VPN to allow those outside developers access to your Intranet?

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 am

mlippert wrote:I'm assuming that you don't want to set up a VPN to allow those outside developers access to your Intranet?
That is correct. We are working with subcontractors and they aren't allowed to have access to our intranet. Our corporate VPN client provides access to our intranet. Our best bet is to move vault to one of our external servers and the database to our external database server. This will give us access to our project data regardless of where we may be located at any given time.

I just wonder if we'd be smart, since we'll be hosting this outside of our intranet to use SSL?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:17 am

Yes. I would configure things so any external based address can only access the Vault Server through SSL.

Next, you'll have to generate / obtain an SSL cert, and then configure IIS with the certiricate for SSL communictation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear