Wish/Suggestion: Don't store tool prefs on server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ctacke

Wish/Suggestion: Don't store tool prefs on server

Post by ctacke » Mon May 02, 2005 7:30 am

In my environment I do development on no less than 5 machines. Most of my other developers also use multiple machines. Not all of the machines have the same software installed, and we don't all use the same extenal tools (like text editors, merge tools, etc). This causes some real frustration when we move to other machines.

For example if I use UltraEdit for text editing and Araxis Merge for diff/merge, but another machine doesn't have those installed, Vault fails to open or compare files when I'm using that other machine because it's trying to use a tool based on settings saved on the server.

I'd prefer that the tool settings be saved locally on a per-PC basis, defaulting to the Vault default tools when no preference has been set on the current PC. That way I can edit and merge with my desired tools on this PC, and if I move to another with different or no tools installed, then I can still view and diff things without file sharing shenanigans.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 02, 2005 7:44 am

Other users have expressed interest in storing certain preferences on the client side; I'll add your name to the list.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager