COM Wrapper for Client API

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Robin

COM Wrapper for Client API

Post by Robin » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:29 pm

We have several VB6 tools written which use SourceSafe object model to check in, label after builds etc. is there a COM based DLL that I can hook to and use in much the same way as SourceSafe?

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:29 am

Sorry, no. The only client API we've got is .NET-based.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Robin

Consider releasing a COM interop version

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:46 pm

Would you consider releasing a COM wrapper, a basic one can be produced from .NET by specifying the "Register for COM interop" in the project settings (it needs to be a DLL not application though)
Attachments
VaultCOM.JPG
Screenshot of component properties in .NET
VaultCOM.JPG (40.13 KiB) Viewed 13848 times

Robin

Disclamer on last post

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:55 pm

I have tested this on minor things, I am not sure how it will work with more complex interfaces, possibly just a cut down set of login, check in/out, label subtree would be nice.

ericsink

Re: Consider releasing a COM interop version

Post by ericsink » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:12 am

Robin wrote:Would you consider releasing a COM wrapper, a basic one can be produced from .NET by specifying the "Register for COM interop" in the project settings (it needs to be a DLL not application though)
Is it possible for you to build this COM wrapper yourself if you have the .NET DLL? Or does it have to built when our DLL is built?

Even if it's easy, my reaction would be that we need to do a better job supporting the client API at its current scope before we broaden it.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:38 pm

Would have been my response as well :)
I can write some more code to talk to your DLL in .NET and then interop its public interface but I can't do it to your original DLL (well don't know how). The interop gets made at compile time so you would have to recompile with the option turned on to make the entire set COM accessible.