Checking a file with a comment for the first time

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

realtytrac

Checking a file with a comment for the first time

Post by realtytrac » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:00 pm

When i first checkin/add a file to vault with a comment, the comment is not saved in the history.

Also, if i check a file out, and recheck it back in with a comment, it will not retain the comment UNLESS i make changes to the file.

We are developing a build process based upon the comments entered with each file. This means that every file i would like to add to vault, i will need to checkin, checkout, edit, and check back in again for the comment to be retained in its history.

Is that how it is supposed to be? Is there a work around?

Haider

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:53 am

What version of Vault are you using?

At what point do you add the comment -- during checkout/add or on commit?

Are you looking for the comment in folder history or file history?

It might be helpful to describe the specific steps you are using to add a comment.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

realtytrac

Post by realtytrac » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:18 pm

I am using version 3.0.7(2863)

In the first case i mentioned, when i add a file for the first time to the project, i want it to add/check in with the comment, but it won't retain that comment. Since that does not work, i try to check it out and recheck it back in with a comment, but because i don't want to change the original and newly added version of the of the file, it won't retaint he comment when i check it back because no changes were made to the file when i checked it out for the first time.

I do a search on the entire folder for that comment, but i do not find those newly added files with the comments i placed in them upon adding them.

The steps can be deduced from the above explanation.
lbauer wrote:What version of Vault are you using?

At what point do you add the comment -- during checkout/add or on commit?

Are you looking for the comment in folder history or file history?

It might be helpful to describe the specific steps you are using to add a comment.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:50 pm

If you are using the Vault GUI client, there are two kinds of comments. One type of comment is a "file comment" which you type in the very bottom of the "Add Files" dialog or in the checkout dialog when you checkout a file or files. This comment appears in the file history and also in the folder history when you evoke "Show History by Item." (You are correct that undoing the checkout takes away the comment, since it is as if the checkout never happened.)

Then there's a "Change Set comment," which is a comment you type into the Commit dialog when you're committing items from the Pending Change Set. This comment does not appear in the file histories or in Show History-> View folder history by item. It does appear in Show History->View Folder History by Version.

So if you have Auto-Commit disabled in your client, and you're typing change set comments, that could be why you're not seeing them in a regular history operation.

Of course, if you're using the IDE client, it could be something different. There were bugs in previous versions that cause a problem with comments -- perhaps one of them was re-introduced.

A specific set of steps to reproduce the problem would help us identify any usage issues or bugs in adding comments.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager