Problem Commiting Changes

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

abova

Problem Commiting Changes

Post by abova » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:20 pm

Using Version 2.0.1
I get a message "The process cannot access the file "C:\dev.....\ClassLibrary1.projdata" because it is being used by another process.
When I try to add a new project (ClassLibrary1) to a solution.
I've added the folder ClassLibary1 and files ClassLibrary1.csproj ClassLibrary1.csproj.user to the repository but not commited them.

I am not using the IDE client. I'm using the Vault client in CVS mode.
The file is not one that is in my change set.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 am

Is ClassLibrary1.projdata inside the ClassLibrary1 folder? If so, this message just means that file is locked by some other process. If the IDE is up while you are trying to do this from the GUI client, that might be the problem.

Sometimes, you can't tell which process has locked a file - rebooting the computer will always release the locks, so you could try that, and then try to do the commit.

abova

Post by abova » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:25 am

I have the IDE up and if I close it it will commit without problems. I'm not sure I like that I have to close the IDE while commiting changes.

BTW I think I was wrong about not being in the change set since I added the whole new directory as well as separtly two other files in the directory.

Why did Vault need to worry about a lock in the file?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:39 am

This is an operating system limitation - if Vault can't access the file, then no other process can either. Since we don't control what kind of lock the IDE puts on files, there isn't much we can do.