Share Branch issues

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mithril

Share Branch issues

Post by Mithril » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm

Vault 3.1.0 (3494)

I have a repository with a folder in the root as such:

$/Project 1

I then shared the entire folder to another folder in the root as such

$/Project 1
$/Project 2

I now need to make some Project 2 specific changes to a file that is a few levels down in the hierarchy:

$/Project 2/test/newfolder/filetochange.txt

When I try to branch the file, its making me to a Copy Branch rather than a Share Branch. Obviously I cannot do this because an object with the same name already exists in that location as that is where it was shared to. How do I get it to allow me to do a Share Branch in a sub folder? Attempting to Share Branch the root Project 2 folder does properly bring up the Shar Branch dialog, but I do not want to branch the entire project, just specific files.

Any ideas?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:42 pm

In the scenario you described, the only thing that is shared is the folder. That is why the Share Branch dialog is brought up on the folder, and copy branch is brought up on the file. There is only one version of the file, modifying one would modify the other.

One way you could get the kind of behavior you want is to delete the share, create a bunch of folders (similar to the original folder structure), and then share the files into each folder.

Another option would be to copy branch the folder. When you want to make sure the files are the same, merge branches to syncrhonizes changes between the branches.

We do have a feature request which would allow you to either share a folder or create new similar folder structure, and recusrively share files. Would you want me to add your name to this request list?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:22 pm

Yes please do!

Given that the two projects most likely won't ever be merged makes your first sugggestion would be much less workable for this situation.

Having several thousand source files among several hundred sub folders in the project would make having to go through the process of sharing each folders contents manually a real nightmare.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:22 am

It isn't really the number of files, but the number of folders. You can share more than one file at a time, so it would really be a matter of creating the directory structure, and then executing one share operation for all files in each folder.

Tedious work, but somewhat manageable.

I'll add your name to the feature request.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Please add my name to the feature request too.

Cheers,
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:44 pm

Done.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jmarsch

Post by jmarsch » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:56 pm

Please add me, too

travis_thelen

my two cents

Post by travis_thelen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:55 pm

I need to accomplish the same thing that Mithril describes.

Your proposed solutions seem convoluted and inadequate.

Sharing a folder is an awesome feature of Vault (VSS sucked here). I don't want to have to manage changes as files and folders are added/removed from the parent folder.

I think your proposed new feature misses the point.

Regards,
Travis

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 pm

Travis:

Note, Vault wouldn't remove the existing method of shared folders, but if this does make the cut, Vault would have a new "create sub structure / share files like VSS" feature.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

travis_thelen

can you do both

Post by travis_thelen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:46 am

Ok - but can I do both

See below. I want to share folderX between multiple projects. And in a specific project I want to not share config.xml

folderX
folderY
config.xml

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:20 am

Yes this could be done, but since the parent folders wouldn't match (because of the config.xml file), you would have to individually share each sub folder.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

travis_thelen

continued ...

Post by travis_thelen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 am

exactly my point - that is a less than ideal solution.

I then am not sharing folder X - I get the functionality of VSS - it sucked.

If my two cents are worth it I would strongly request a feature that solves the issue Mithril and I describe.

Your proposed solution is NOT a solution it is a hack.

The scenario we describe is very common in SCM - so I would wager a guess that many users would benefit.

Reards,
Travis

jclausius

Re: continued ...

Post by jclausius » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:44 am

travis_thelen wrote:I then am not sharing folder X - I get the functionality of VSS - it sucked.
Regardless, quite a few customers would like to see this functionality.
travis_thelen wrote:The scenario we describe is very common in SCM
Branching and merging is the easiest way to manager this in a controlled manner.
travis_thelen wrote:If my two cents are worth it I would strongly request a feature that solves the issue Mithril and I describe.
I honestly do not have a solution to solve Mithril's problem without branching. I'll log any feature requests.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:49 am

Ok - then my feature request is as follows:

I will repeat mithril's example

I have a repository with a folder in the root as such:

$/Project 1

I then shared the entire folder to another folder in the root as such

$/Project 1
$/Project 2

I now need to make some Project 2 specific changes to a file that is a few levels down in the hierarchy:

$/Project 2/test/newfolder/filetochange.txt

I want a feature available on filetochange.txt called SHARE-BRANCH that will allow me to modify this file independent of the one in Project 1

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:23 pm

I want a feature available on filetochange.txt called SHARE-BRANCH that will allow me to modify this file independent of the one in Project 1
I'll log this as a feature request. Basically, you want to be able to branch individual files within a shared folder so that they can be edited independently of each other. Technically, the folders will no longer be shared (share in Vault denotes all changes in one are reflected in the other), so we'll have to come up with an other name.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager