Attempt to checkout files failed when merging branches

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mikep

Attempt to checkout files failed when merging branches

Post by mikep » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:04 pm

I am able to use the branch wizard on one set of folders just fine. When I try it on the folder that contains the .aspx files I get through the process fine, however when it goes to check out the files on the page labeled 'Modify Files', it always ends up saying "Attempt to checkout files failed."

When I check the Pending Change Set, it checks out the files but it does not indicate that they need merging. Oh yeah, I always uncheck the 'Use Automatic Merge' feature during the wizard, I'll try it again without let and post back if it is different.

Please let me know if there are any logfiles I can add to this post that might help debug it.

Thanks,
Mike

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:10 pm

Are any of the files that were changed shared?

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:14 pm

I do not believe any of the files were shared, is there a way to search for shared files?

I forget to mention the versions in my initial post:

Win 2k SP4
IIS 5
Vault 2.0.0

I checked the sgvault.log file but there was nothing of interest there. Also, I tried it again leaving the auto merge on but no luck.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:36 pm

There will be a shared file icon next to the file in the GUI client if it is shared.

Is is possible those files were already checked out in the target folder? Are all the files that had the problem non-mergable files (e.g., files that when checked out are always checked out exclusively)?

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:22 pm

The files weren't checked out in either folder. Unfortunately, there are hundreds if not over a thousand files, so checking for an icon next to each is pretty much out of the question. I do not believe that any of the updated files were shared however, since I haven't shared any files since using Vault. The files were all mergeable and show no conflicts on the screen before it started trying to check out files.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:09 pm

Does the wizard give any indication as to which files could not be checked out?

You can safely delete everything in the pending change set after the Merge Branches wizard is complete without affecting the target folder (except for move and rename operations, which would have already been commited by the wizard). This will abort the merge with no harm done.

Then you can rerun the merge branches wizard, and see whether it lists any checkouts. Also, if you could select the text from the last page of the wizard (where it lists the operations it found to apply) and send it to me, that might help in reproducing this here.

Thanks,

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:21 pm

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Unfortunately, the last page says there were no operations to apply. I'll send it to you in the AM.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:29 pm

ah, yes... I do have a few shared files. When I compare the files it intends to checkout with the files it actually checks out after it fails, the shared files are missing from the pending change set. What can I do to get around this?

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:16 pm

I guess this is the work around... uncheck the shared files from the list of files to be processed and everything seems to work. Is there a fix planned for this one?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Actually, the problem is that the Merge Branches wizard tries to checkout the shared file multiple times, which fails (as it should). Checking in one link of a shared file will update all the others automatically.

So, it isn't a problem that the extra links are not in the pending change set. However, we've also seen cases where the shared file will say it needs merged after a merge branches, even though it doesn't. Both of these problems will be fixed in an upcoming 2.0.2.

In the meantime, you can either:

1) Run the merge branches wizard again (starting from scratch), and in the screen where it lists all the changes, uncheck the duplicate links in the shared file

2) Resolve the Needs Merge status manually.

If you are really stuck, I can also send you a non-official client that would work for shared files, that could be used for this one merge branch operation.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:32 pm

Yes, please send the unofficial version, it would be a big help. Also, is there a way to just merge an individual file instead of entire directories?