Lost checked in Changes

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

asaxton

Lost checked in Changes

Post by asaxton » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:35 am

Another developer and I have run into the same situation (different projects though)

Environment: Visual Studio.NET 2003 using Vault 2.0.0 on WinXP Pro.

I had been working on some changes and I had checked in the files through VS.NET 2003 Interface.

The next night i was going to do some more changes to the same file. I have VS.NET Configured to always prompt me to get the latest version when i open VS.NET and to check items in when closing a solution.

I went to look at the file and i had noticed that all of my changes were gone. My first thought was that someone had checked it out without getting the latest version and somehow overwrote my changes.

But, when i looked at the history, it did not indicate that i had checked in any changes from the previous night. That worried me. So all of my changes were lost. with no record of me checking them in (which i know i did).

Today a fellow developer had the same issue with a VB6 project. He had checked things in and then pulled them up the next day to find the changes missing with no record of the changes being checked in.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:56 am

We just had a report of this recently in this thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=440

It isn't clear what happened in that case. Can you read through that thread, and see if any of it applies to your circumstance, and then maybe re-post here with any findings?

One question: Are these your first checkins with Vault 2.0.0 and did you upgrade prior to that? Or, in other words, was it working before and isn't now, or did it never work in your current configuration?

Thanks,

asaxton

Post by asaxton » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:00 pm

I had read that post before posting mine. It seemed similar but not exactly the same as my files just don't show the history of it being checked in.

And yes we upgraded from 1.2.2 to 2.0.0 and everything worked great in 1.2.2

dan

Post by dan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:25 pm

If you don't have history saying the file was checked into Vault, then the checkin didn't succeed from the IDE. Did the output pane of the IDE indicate a problem?

Also, what is the default value for the Modified Local Files option in the Get dialog? It should be set to Attempt Automatic Merge if you don't want the file to be overwritten on a Get.

(Also note, the file should be backed up in your _sgbak folder, even if it was overwritten).

alovhaug

Post by alovhaug » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:03 pm

I thought I'd chime in since I experienced the problem in the previous post. Just a few facts in case this helps:

asaxton - Not sure what you meant by "It seemed similar but not exactly the same as my files just don't show the history of it being checked in."

In my situation, the files from within the Vault IDE showed only one version - the original one that was added, which was several days before when I tried to check in my changes and it apparently failed. So my "history" doesn't show them being checked in either, if I am interpreting your message correctly.

Also, I have not experienced any further problems. I am still using the VS.NET IDE, but I am only checking in single files (well, or webforms, so the aspx and vb file together). I am not checking in the entire project at once, which is what I did the time that it apparently failed. Also, now after I check in a file, I use the Vault IDE to verify that the version number has incremented. And I make a backup of my files locally.

I still think my problem may have stemmed from using Vault through terminal services, but I haven't had time to verify that yet. I want to reimplement my code first. I hope to check that this weekend and post any follow-up information I learn from that.

If I learn anything further, I'll let you know.

asaxton

Post by asaxton » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Well the version on the file in question is at version 42.

I do end up checking in the entire project as opposed to individual files. Which i would expect to work.

In the case of the VB6 project he had checked in the file individualy and it has a high version as well.

alovhaug

Post by alovhaug » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:39 pm

Well, I would expect it to work, too. I'm just trying to help them narrow down when or why it occurs. Because fixing it would be a good thing!

asaxton

Post by asaxton » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:41 pm

Yeah :) i appreciate it.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:54 pm

My recommendation would be to checkin the project before exiting VS.Net, and to look at the output pane in the IDE. If it happens again, it might output error messages there. If the IDE exits right away after the checkin, there may be no chance to see any errors.

Also, if you can reproduce this at will, let me know. I've been trying to recreate it here, but have not been able to.