Repository Recommendations

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

taustin

Repository Recommendations

Post by taustin » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:57 pm

I am going to be importing some existing code into a Vault database soon (kinda waiting on V2) and would like some opinions on the best way to organize everything. I know that once I get to the project level, I want to follow the trunk/branch/tag pattern. Really, I suppose, my main concern is the best way to organize project level. The docs say that each unrelated project should be placed in a separate repository. Is there any limits / limitations on the number of repositories? The reason I'm concerned is that there are several unrelated projects that I'll be managing. I work for a consulting company with many clients, so each application is custom for the most part. Also, there are several internal projects, so the whole thing will be like 10 seperate code bases, with I'm sure, more to follow. Any issues or performance problems with having many repositories? The other option is to have only one or two repositories ("internal" and "external", let's say) and have the top-level be the project level for multiple projects.

Opinions?

dan

Some tips

Post by dan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:20 pm

Here are some of the competing factors that affect whether to use separate repositories or not:

1. Your performance in any single repository will be much better if you break projects into separate repositories. The fewer nodes in your tree and the fewer working folders Vault needs to keep track of, the faster your refreshes, checkouts, labels, etc will be.

2. You can deny access to an entire repository without having to turn on repository security, which is nice, because security tends to get complicated, and there is also a slight performance penalty to check permissions on folders. It is far easier to simply prevent users from even seeing a repository (note: This is a 2.0 only feature)

3. You cannot move, share, branch, or otherwise integrate information between repositories. Vault repositories are completely unknown to each other, and while we'd like to eventually make this better, no one should design their database in anticipation of us eventually changing this someday.

4. The might be a slight management hassle of managing different repositories. Look in the Admin Tool Repositories Options screen, and note which things you might want to manage differently for different repositories. Most options can be applied to all repositories though.

5. We don't normally test with dozens or hundreds of repositories, so there may be quirks related to that. When you login, a repository list is presented, so if there are hundreds of them, it may be hard to find the one you want. On the other hand, 2.0 has login profiles, so you could set it up to only have to find the right one once.

Hope this helps...

taustin

Re: Some tips

Post by taustin » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:00 pm

dan wrote:We don't normally test with dozens or hundreds of repositories
I hope I never have hundreds of repositories :)

Thanks for the information. It helps quite a bit.