Branch, label or pin?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

toddg

Branch, label or pin?

Post by toddg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:54 pm

We would like to release weekly "beta" builds (more often only when necessary). At some point, we will deem one of the beta builds a release canidate (i.e. ready for testing for final release). Each time we do a beta build, we are currently doing a label. Our problem is that development doesn't stop after a beta build. And in order for a build to be made an official release canidate some changes need to be made in the code (specifically the help - about box either says beta or doesn't based on released or not). So we would like to be able to go back and make a change to a build and then rebuild with that change without effecting ongoing development. I have read through a couple of best practices documents and none have had a situation like this. Anyone have any suggestions?

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:26 pm

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to label every build, and then when you decide to make it a release, branch from that label, make the changes, and then create your final label on that branch. Just make sure that you don't use label promotion on that label, or you won't be able to branch from it.