Buggy VS.Net 2002 integration? Scalability problems?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mikep

Buggy VS.Net 2002 integration? Scalability problems?

Post by mikep » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:41 pm

Hello,
We're running Vault 2.0.0 and using VS.Net 2002. I installed the patch as instructed for VS.Net 2002 and have had little success using Vault smoothly from the IDE. I've read a number of posts regarding general integration with the IDE and, in most cases, the response is usually "It's out of our hands because it's the API....". This may be the case. However, VSS as inadequate as it is, worked relatively well using the same API.

Now, I'm not here to trash Vault. I like Vault, it's community, Dan, etc. However, it seems like it is having problems with VS.Net 2002 and I want to see it work better. Not only because I spent good money on it, but because I don't want to go back to VSS.

Here are a few very disturbing problems we're having. Take a look and then let me know anything you need in order to identify the issues.

1) Files in the working directory do not always match the version in the repository. IE. If I get latest on my machine, I don't always get the latest files. When I look on the other developers machines, those same files will be marked Renegade. Maybe it's a user error, however, it seems to be very common and therefore something that needs to be addressed.

2) The pending checkins in the IDE almost never match the Pending Change Set in Vault.

3) Lately, when I use the silent checkout from the IDE by starting to edit a non-checked out file, SQL Server hangs (and hence the IDE) while running the following stored proc: dbo.spgetlockedfilechanges;1

I don't know the exact size, but it's reasonable to say that they repository holds over 300 megs of files. I hope this helps. Please let me know what I can do in order to help resolve these issues.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:29 pm

Hey Mike,

I totally understand your frustration - regardless of where the problem is, you want it to Just Work. Hopefully, we can figure out what it going on.

Your clues seem a bit different from other ones. Previously we've had folks report files being overwritten in the IDE, but they've never been able to pin down the exact steps that cause it to happen. We've suggested changing options settings related to overwrite and prompting, and haven't heard back, which isn't to say we know the problems have been resolved, but that we don't have any further info on it.

The problems you are having seem to be the opposite - Get latest not retrieving files.

So, I'll need some more specific info from you.

1. Are the files that are not retrieved Renegade on your machine? Have they been edited without being checked out? (Renegade means edited but not checked out)

2. If so, check your default setting for Modified Local Files (either in the Get command dialog or the Vault options). If it is Do not overwrite, then server changes will not be applied to your local file.

3. Are you using a Web project? (Web projects are more complicated)

4. Can you copy and paste the differences between the vault pending change set and the IDE's? That could be a good clue as to what is going on.

5. For the silent checkout problem - which IDE options do you have set?

6. Does the Vault log report anything when you get the spgetlockedfilechanges error?

In general, if you can consistently reproduce the problems, that is a good, because it makes it more likely that we can as well. Also, it would be good to know if others on your team experience the same problems too, as well as if they can consistently reproduce it.

Also, the problem is far more likely to be IDE related that repository size related - SQL can handle 300MB without any trouble.

Also, feel free to email me separately if you'd rather work through via email rather than the forum. We can also post back any results we find.

Thanks,