Multiple Solutions under source control

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nemoby

Multiple Solutions under source control

Post by nemoby » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:56 pm

I have two solutions under source control. Solution A contains a class library that is referenced by Solution B, a web site.

When I am stepping through the debugger in Solution B and the logic enters the class library maintained in Solution A, I am able to edit the code but I is not checked out. When I return to Solution A, I can see the edit changes and again the code is not checked out.

Is there a better way to do this? I broke my solutions up because I had multiple projects that referenced my class libraries and VS was recompiling everything when there was a change to the library. This was getting very slow.

-Andrew

dan

Post by dan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:05 pm

The source control bindings are on the project, so if the project is not part of the solution currently being run, VS doesn't know that it is under source control. It can find the code during debugging, but it doesn't have the extra info to know that this file is under source control in the other solution, and therefore should be checked out.

I'm not sure there is a good way around this, other than adding that project to the solution you are using, but as you pointed out, this will make things a lot slower during recompile.

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:13 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I thought.

I did find a possible solution: Keep everything in a single solution but select the "Only build startup projects and dependencies on Run" option found under Options -> Projects and Solutions -> Build and Run (VS2005).

This eliminates VS from building all 5 of the web sites that i have under the solution when I make a small change to one of my data libraries and only want to test a single web site.

-Andrew