Relative Add (Feature Request)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marc

Relative Add (Feature Request)

Post by Marc » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:41 am

I'm not sure "Relative Add" is the best term to use, but it was the best I could come up with.

Essentially we have and issue were a developer forgets to add files to vault. Normally we catch this because a compile fails, but some non-compiled stuff (like icons for example) can go un-added for a very long time.

What we would like to see is a method that searches the local file system for files not in the repository. For example, if $\MyProject\MyFolder is set to a working folder of C:\MyProject\MyFolder, it would scan that director and present me a list of missing files. It would also check all of the subdirectories under MyFolder and show those files in their relative paths (i.e. MyFolder\AnotherFolder\MyProgram.cs).

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:22 am

We've had similar requests in the past, but I'm not sure how to summarize all those conversations.

Vault still needs to get better at helping people not forget to add files. Unfortunately this is one feature which didn't make it into 2.0.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:37 am

ericsink wrote:Vault still needs to get better at helping people not forget to add files. Unfortunately this is one feature which didn't make it into 2.0.
It is one of the few advantages to using the IDE integration. But having used Vault both ways, it would take more than just this feature to make be go back to the integrated IDE.

WinCVS does a fairly decent job with this one (fairly decent in that their IDE makes my eyes bleed within seconds making the feature moot). They display the working folders files in-line with the repository files. They are flagged as being not in the repository the working folder files can be hidden (giving you a clean view of just the repository like Vault has today).

Personally we would be happy with a folder diff that compares the working folder's contents with the repository. Just something that lets us know what is missing. With some 3,000 files in a number of separate fiddlers it can get very confusing.