Version Numbers

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlatimer

Version Numbers

Post by mlatimer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:10 am

As standard, the file version numbers start at 1 and increment.

Is it possible to customise this or preset version numbers on import. (I.e.. so maybe they can match the software version where all files mofified for release 5 of the software are versioned in the form 5.xx)??

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:56 pm

I'd like more information on the problem you'd like to solve with this change.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlatimer

Version Numbers

Post by mlatimer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:56 am

HI

Its not so much a problem just that I would like to check the files in and out maybe at the end of each day or working period to keep a good history of changes. In this case the versinon numbers will get very large in comparision with the software. Therefore I would like to be able to prefix the version numbers, with say teh software version. ie:

5.123 where I was working on r5 of the software and this file had changed 123 times.

Working this way you will be able to see which files were changed at which release and step though them.

btw.. this is the common way for drawing numbering systems to work and also document managment systems (i.e. Autodesk vault, automanager). It does work really well.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:12 am

Thanks for the further information. I'll log this as a feature request.

In the meantime perhaps you could add your release version information to the item or change set comments.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mlatimer

Thank you

Post by mlatimer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:42 am

yes - I will look at that option.

In the meantime, we are very happy with what the combination of dragnet (please see comment in the dragnet forum) and vault will do for us and an order will be issued shortly.

Mark

ismangil

Re: Version Numbers

Post by ismangil » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:25 pm

mlatimer wrote:As standard, the file version numbers start at 1 and increment.

Is it possible to customise this or preset version numbers on import. (I.e.. so maybe they can match the software version where all files mofified for release 5 of the software are versioned in the form 5.xx)??
Hi, I did ask about this when we were evaluating Vault a while back: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3505

In the end we decided we can live without it. Now we use continuous integration with build labels extensively instead.