Using Source Control for First Time

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ddd

Using Source Control for First Time

Post by ddd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:49 pm

Hello,

This is the first time I'll be setting up and using a source control and have some questions.

Currently everything is in an encrypted container where the basic layout is:

\productname (contains .c*, .h*, mak files if single platform0
\release
\debug
\docs
\dist
\maybesomeotherslike_distfull_or_setup_Win64_Win32_DOS_etc

\libs
\inc (contains copy of .h* files that just include from libname\inc)
\libname
\inc (headers)
\src (source)
\mak
\win32
\dos
\large
\ext
\os2
\linux
\win32
\release
\releasemt
\debug
\debugmt
\dos
\large
\ext
\os2
\linux
\win64
\release
\releasemt
\debug
\debugmt

I'll be changing the library structure to build the .LIB files to a single directory for all libraries under \libs\[platform].. and in the source control change the \libs\inc to contain "shared" files from the \libs\[libname]\inc direction instead of just links.

My question is what to do with the distribution files/binaries.

I was thinking of having the new \libs\[platform] directory in the source control just for the fact that the consultants that will be helping out can just pull down the libraries and header files to their working directory to compile a product they may be working on (they won't have access to the the library source). Is this method okay or should a network share be setup (could be kept in an encrypted container)?

What about the product release - it's typically built with a .bat file called zip or zipit or makedist. Should that be kept in source control or is it safe to keep my existing container and have that be the "working folder" using CVS style? That way I could just continue to build and work on the releases myself the same way I do now and just push up (on release) or pull down changes if I had others working on things.

ddd

Post by ddd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:50 pm

I guess all the indentaion was lost ... hopefully you can make since of it.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 pm

If you are just getting into source control, I would recommend Eric Sink's overview at

http://software.ericsink.com/scm/source_control.html

and if you are wondering about how to layout the code so you can work on a stable version and a working versions, the branches chapter would be helpful:

http://software.ericsink.com/scm/scm_branches.html

ddd

Post by ddd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Actually, it was more of a quesiton on where to keep the build. Let me ask this: is it okay to use the working folder using the same container I have now even though certain folders won't be included in vault? (it's not going to start deleting folders / files on me is it?) (also I'm not going to have to hassle with checking/unchecking all though special directories?).

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:00 am

I'm not sure what you mean by container, but you can define a local working folder to be associated with a Vault repository folder, and not have to have every folder underneath the local working folder be inside Vault as well.

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi here,

After you finished the setup, you should pull the source from a fresh PC. This will let you know that you check in all the needed files.

cheers,
Egghead