Changed File Not In Change Set

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

taustin

Changed File Not In Change Set

Post by taustin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:48 am

Using Vault 2.0.1 and the GUI client:

Just an FYI, I'm not sure if it's a problem or not, but...

I edited a VB6 form file (FRM and FRX extensions) and when I went switched into the GUI client to check in the changes, only the FRX file was in the change set. I committed it, then realized that the FRM file should have been in there as well (the code is stored in the FRM file in VB6). I found the file in the repository and it was indeed listed as "Edited", but was not in the change set. I restarted the GUI and it immediatly popped into the change set. Whew.

I had the GUI client running while I was making the changes (just commenting out a few lines of code). Should the GUI client be closed while making changes or have the code open in the IDE?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:50 pm

The reason for this is that not all cache data is shared between Vault clients that are running at the same time. You did the right thing by restarting the GUI client. Note that this only applies if you are running the IDE client and the GUI client at the same time. I would recommend running the GUI client only, and doing any repository operations there.

taustin

Post by taustin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:21 pm

After reading all of the stories on this site about the horrors of the IDE-integrated client :D , I decided early on to only use the GUI client. As a matter of fact, I said "no" the IDE question during installation. Does Value integrate with the VB6 IDE? I didn't see anything in the add-in list.

Anyway, everything seems to be fine; I wanted to see if there was something I needed to be doing differently.

taustin

Post by taustin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:23 pm

Does Value integrate with the VB6 IDE?
Actually, thats Vault :oops: - but it is a value as well. :wink:

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:31 pm

Wild...

I'm assuming that you're running in CVS mode, since in VSS mode everything that is checked out appears in the pending change set regardless of its edited status, and only checked out files can be marked as Edited.

In CVS mode, any Edited file should be in the pending change set.

It does sound like you've run into something weird. We used to have issues with some editors that would delete the working file and rewrite it. I thought that we had fixed those issues, but I can investigate more. Please let me know if you're running VSS mode or CVS mode.

taustin

Post by taustin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:33 pm

I'm using CVS mode. Restarting seemed to "fix" it, so for now, I'll just make sure I restart the client. No probem, but it would be nice to know what's going on - or be able to refresh the change set somehow.