Install of Vault Server 3.1.8 fails to connect to SQL Srv

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MrAnalogy

Post by MrAnalogy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:38 pm

Ok, did the aspnet_regiis.exe" -i. Seemed to work OK.

Tried laoggin in with sg client:

user: admin (I don't remember the username I gave for Vault during install)
pw : (none : i gave a null password when creating the account)
host: localhost

Unable to connect to http://localhost/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied

Tried the same loggin info with the SG Server. Same result.

How do I check the settings you asked about ( anonymous access, etc. is enabled on the iis server)? (I don't use the iiserver except for testing .asp pages)

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:01 pm

How do I check the settings you asked about ( anonymous access, etc. is enabled on the iis server)? (I don't use the iiserver except for testing .asp pages)
Sorry if my previous instructions were unclear.

On XP, right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". That will open the Computer Management console. Expand Services and Applications, then expand Internet Information Services. Expand the WebSites folder then right click on the website where Vault is installed (probably the "default website" unless you chose a different one). Choose Properties from the context menu. Then choose the Directory Security tab on the Web Site Properties dialog.

On that tab, click the top Edit button which is in the Anonymous access and authentication section. That will display the Authentication Methods dialog. On that dialog, make sure that the "Allow Anonymous Access" check box is checked.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

MrAnalogy

Post by MrAnalogy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:42 pm

OK, did that.

When I made the change I got a dialog:

Inheritance Overrides
Please select child nodes which should inherit these changes:
Printers
localstart.asp

I selected both.

OK?

MrAnalogy

Resolved

Post by MrAnalogy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 pm

OK,anonymous access was not on.

Turned it on (see above). Will that present a security risk?
(I've got a firewall set up already)

username: admin
pw: (none)
server: clay2 (name of my pc)

That seems to have fixed it.

Thanks!

jclausius

Re: Resolved

Post by jclausius » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:27 pm

MrAnalogy wrote:Turned it on (see above). Will that present a security risk?
Not necessarily.

All web service methods require authentication and authorization, so that is handled. Other than the installed .html, .aspx, and .asmx files, nothing else should be accessible, since everything else is going through the .asmx web service.

However, if you want to go a step further, you can control access to the Vault Service virtual directory by making modifications to web.config's authorization section. See Security Model - Authorization for more information.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear