Time to connect to server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Chris P

Time to connect to server

Post by Chris P » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:20 am

I'm currently evaluating sourcegear (v3.1.8) versus a few alternates and am having what appears to be performance issues when connecting to my sourcegear server and retrieving the list of repositories.

It can take up to 1 minute to present me with the list of respositories but after this step the application performs really well. Is there any area I can configure to help improve this initial connection slowness?

My server specs are quite decent and not under any significant loads...

IIS and SQL are on different machines. IIS: v5, W2K, 512MB RAM; SQL Server: 2000, 1.5GB RAM
Chris P

dan

Post by dan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:44 am

Hmm - that definitely isn't normal :)

The RAM on your IIS box looks low, but that is very unlikely to be the problem, just something to note for the future.

Put the server in debug logging mode (change via the Admin Tool, Server Options), which may give some indication where the slowdown is.

Also, try connecting to the server on the same box IIS is running, and see if you get the same results, which would isolate whether it is the server or the network.

Chris P

Post by Chris P » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:51 am

The same performance is experienced when accessing directly from the IIS server.

Looking at the debug log it appears to take the most time between the steps:

GetUserOptions : Success
GetRepositories : Success

Any thoughts?...
Chris P

kasti

Post by kasti » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:29 am

Could it be that your clients do a version check with the sourcegear site and cant reach it because of a firewall?

Try switching off the version check in tools -> options -> general -> check for latest vault version at startup.

Cheers,
Kasti.

Chris P

Post by Chris P » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:50 am

I've tried turning off the option to check for a new version on startup and... it now works perfectly!

Thanks for your help!!
Chris P