Recomendations for integration with Visual Studio 2005

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

matt_stephens

Recomendations for integration with Visual Studio 2005

Post by matt_stephens » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:52 am

Do you have any recommendations for how to configure Vault integration with Visual Studio 2005?

I have set my vault client up to work in the CVS mode and having read Eric Sink's articles about Source Control HowTo i really like the idea of being able to simply edit a file without checking it out - particularly in situations where i might not have access to the Vault server. The trouble is if i edit a file in Visual Studio it always seems to check it out rather than just editing it.

If i am unable to contact the Vault Server, is there any way of avoiding the dialog that comes up asking to Check Out Disconnected? I'd rather be able to edit my files and then sort it all out once i've got access to the Vault Server again.

Thanks

Matt

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am

Matt:

The Microsoft expects all Visual Studio .Net clients to use a Checkout / Edit / Commit (CEC). This was definitely the case with VS.Net 2003, and I'm pretty sure still is the case VS.Net 2005. If a file's attributes are not marked "read-only", VS.Net has trouble determining what to do while opening/editing the files.

The Modify / Merge / Commit (MMC) model will not while when using Vault's Visual Studio .Net plugin. The only way to use this working style is to work outside Visual Studio .Net integration.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

matt_stephens

Post by matt_stephens » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks for the reply. Thats certainly what i am seeing but at the same time i thought that Team System uses the edit/merge/commit style of working so surely VS2005 can work that way?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 am

Indeed it can, and the new IDE integrated client, to be released with Vault 4.0, will allow you to work this way with Visual Studio 2005.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

matt_stephens

Post by matt_stephens » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:50 am

Fantastic! Any ideas of release date for Vault 4?

Any feature lists available so we can see what we can expect?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:58 am

matt_stephens wrote:Thanks for the reply. Thats certainly what i am seeing but at the same time i thought that Team System uses the edit/merge/commit style of working so surely VS2005 can work that way?
The Team System client does not use the Microsoft Source Code Control Interface (MSSCCI) to interact with Team system. It uses a new API through VSIP.

If you search Microsoft for VSIP, you will see many terms - Visual Studio Interface Partnership, Visual Studio Industry Partner, or Visual Studio Integration Program. For our purpose, VSIP is a term used to describe an API of "hooks" into Visual Studio .Net 2005.

MSSCCI expects the CEC model, while VSIP is open to new control. As Ian stated, there will be a Vault VSIP client. It is already in the works for Vault 4.0. Unfortunately we haven't yet set a firm release date for Vault 4.0, but we do know it will be sometime this year after the release of Vault 3.5.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear