Funny Merge observed

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

erict

Funny Merge observed

Post by erict » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:13 am

I'm using 3.1.2 host and client. A particular project has a 2 branches, 5.1 and 5.3. In each branch the automatic build updates the version numbers in a .VBP file by undoing the read-only bit then modifying the version number in the file. From Vault's point of view this file is now renegade (which is fine). The master file contains 5.3.999 as the build number, and 5.3.2 is in the working directory.

The other day I deleted the cache directory because I was running low on disk space of the C: drive. So I had to set up the working directories again. Both branches have the correct working directory setup.

The funny thing is that the merge of 5.3 shows the left as the correct contents of the working directory, and the right pane with the correct contents of the repository. But the center pane seems to show the contents of the repository when I first did the branch, last December (except not completely, other parts in the file have changed since December, but since the repository and the w/d match, the center pane shows no difference.

I've attached a partial image showing this. This specific issue is not a big deal, except that it makes you wonder...
Attachments
mergeissue.jpg
mergeissue.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:10 pm

The short answer is: this is expected after a deletion of the cache.

The long answer:
When the cache is deleted, the baseline file gets deleted as well. The baseline file is the last version of the file retrieved to the client before it is edited.

When the baseline is deleted, Vault has no way to determine what version it started at, so it chooses the very first version of the file, so that all changes since the beginning of time can potentially be merged back into the current version. This is almost alway overkill, since the baseline is usually just a few versions back, but it is the safest way to go.

So, the merge looks funky right after a deletion of the cache, but it should act normally going forward.