FLAs and Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lorenelks

FLAs and Vault

Post by lorenelks » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 am

Hi:

As you know we are slowing building our eLearning group in our company. We are finding that we really need a system like SourceGear Vault.

The question is, does anyone know if SourceGear Vault (or some other system handles):

FLA, SWF files

BMP, GIF, PNG, JPG files

WAV files

DOC files

PDF files

FM files (Framemaker) files

PSD files

Corel files

We are looking for one system running on a server that would be able to house all of these file types (maybe more) and provide versioning, check in / check out, etc.

Also, it would be nice if the system could do comparisons. (Although this may be asking for too much). For example, it could compare 2 docs and tell what the differences are. However, this is a "nicety", NOT a requirement.

I appreciate any advice.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Vault should be able to handle files of any kind or size - they are all the same to the backend server.

And Vault does support showing differences for text files, but not for files that are treated as binary, like image files or Word documents.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:44 pm

dan wrote:Vault should be able to handle files of any kind or size - they are all the same to the backend server.

And Vault does support showing differences for text files, but not for files that are treated as binary, like image files or Word documents.
Dan,
I'm pretty sure that I've done diff's on files that Vault thinks are binary. That did require that I had a compare tool configured that supported comparing the "binary" file. In my case I had BeyondCompare installed, and it has plugins to compare certain non-text files such as images (not Word .doc files AFAIK, though).

I've actually had to configure some text files as binary because Vault's automatic merge can get really confused if the file is UTF8 w/o a BOM or is encoded using an ANSI codepage that isn't the current system codepage.

Mike

Mike

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:14 pm

WinMerge can diff .DOC files, so I would have guessed that Beyond Compare could also. But I've not looked.